Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wood Stoves and CO

Options
D107
D107 Member Posts: 1,852
A friend of mine was recently saved by a CO alarm when her wood stove emitted CO and she was woken by the sound just in time. My advice to her is not only to get a better non-Home Depot unit that alarms at much lower PPMs, but also to have the stove undergo a thorough combustion check. She had said the heat had been all day--as if to explain the malfunction I think--but my point is that any heating unit may be on all day but that the issue is likely to happen again if not corrected. Any additional thoughts? I intend to contact her again and giver her as much info as possible.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Draught. And combustion air. Any wood stove -- by any maker -- requires an adequate draught and adequate combustion air. She should have her chimney and stove pipes inspected and, most likely cleaned, especially if this is one of the better air tight models, which can create truly amazing amounts of creosote.

Which, I might add, is a fire hazard...

Also check and make sure that enough air can get into the house to replace that which goes up the chimney.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    D107
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,709
    edited April 2016
    Options
    How does a wood stove spill CO into a room without smoke and stink?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    D107
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I recommend low level detectors for all the fossil fuel burners. CO experts is one of the best.

Make up and combustion air often gets blocked off by HO that think it allows too much cold air into the space, check that and the condition and height of the flue to provide adequate draft.

www.coexperts.com
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    D107