Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hoffman Differential Loop

Greetings!
Currently working on a system with a Hoffman Differential Loop. The system works fine, but shows a slight leak where the return tee's into the Loop. It's no problem to replace the tee and nipple, but I don't know the condition of the threads inside the Loop casting
Hopefully I can chase them with a tap and all will be well, but I need a Plan-B in case the threads are shot.
Any wisdom to share?
Thanks!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,988
    Considering that the absolute maximum pressure for a system with a Hoffman Differential Loop should be 12 ounces per square inch, and considering that that return connection should only see that pressure if the loop trips, and considering that the loop should never trip if the vapourstat is set right...

Chewing gum would probably work if the threads in the Loop are shot. If the threads aren't completely gone, a few wraps of good tape (Blue Monster? Whatever you favour) should do it. If there is an eroded channel in the threads, I'd either just fill it with red RTV or if I were a real fanatic some epoxy and rebuild the threads...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • My truck is never without a tube of Hernon Dripstop 923 for use on questionable threads.

http://www.hernon.com/search-for-adhesives/459/Dripstop 923
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    SWEI
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Nice -- a heavier bodied anaerobic. I think I'll order some...
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Don't get rid of it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,988

Don't get rid of it.

Goes without saying? Instead, make sure you know how the system was supposed to work, and get it working that way -- you will love it!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England