Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

(AOS BTH...Pros & Cons).......Water Tube or Fire Tube...Pros & Cons...

Options
JUGHNE
JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
edited March 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
That brand is common in my area, pretty fair parts service etc. Installed only 3 in previous years.
Pretty good performance and reliability. Has anything drastically changed in the products to watch out for?
Thanks

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,705
    Options
    HTP.

What a surprise.

:)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Robert O'Brien
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Having heard of issues and problems some in my area have had with AOSmith customer service and product, I am no longer recommending AOSmith. @JohnNY 's issues were just the icing on the cake for me.
    JohnNY
  • Rich_49
    Options
    Let's just hope the boiler division of that conglomerate is able to stave off the onslaught from the shareholders who give a damn only about the BOTTOM LINE
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,705
    Options
    Rich said:

Let's just hope the boiler division of that conglomerate is able to stave off the onslaught from the shareholders who give a damn only about the BOTTOM LINE

Saw one of your trucks the other day Rich, I think on 287.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks Rich, I was trying to find that posting on the Wall. I'll re-read it. Was their modulating burner the downfall of that line?

My luck with AOS so far:
    BTH-120 in 2001, replaced pressure switches with issues, Igniter & FS as PM. Wind problems, seems not enough apples in the fan. 2 pipes thru roof.....Loud as hell.

BTH-120 in 2005, just pressure switches. 2 pipe East side wall.
    Not noticed sound issue.

BTH-250A in 2011, concentric thru roof....wind problems on occasions. EBM/VFD blower. Runs at 175 degrees. Should I keep fingers crossed or light a candle?

Looking for replacement in small hospital. Would consider 2 WH as parts for anything slightly exotic are at best 3-5 days out.
    Will check out HTP also. Thanks

For example: for me a Supply House shipment 6 days on UPS.
  • Rich_49
    Options
    What's your location ?
    Maybe JohnNY could comment on what the actual problem was as I really do not remember except that the suspect unit just would not do the job . As I understand the Phoenix went right in and went to work admirably . We have had no issues with the line .
    732-751-1560
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    I am 220 miles NW of Omaha. You see why redundant WH tanks are a good idea if they are high tech.
    As I read the old post it seemed to be intermittent lock outs that the company or reps just wanted to not hear about. Maybe another field experiment by a manufacturer at the expense of customer and more so of the installer. Seen this many times in over 35 years......Lets build it, get it out the door and see how it doesn't work and fix things in the next factory run.....it seems that they feel too big to fail when just a few little people are upset.
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Options
    Our building manager didn't like the look of that thread when I showed him, back when it happened. He said he won't be using their products again, if that's what he can expect when there is an issue
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Any down fired condensing hot water tank is only problems. If they short cycle, the combustion chamber stays wet . They rot through in the combustion chamber due to the condensation entering the small cracks of the glasslining. We replace that type of hwt between 3 and 6 years. Front loaded condensing tanks like the HTP, are install and forget!
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Looking into the HTP series. Also the Lockinvar series is said to have many components shared by the Knight boiler products. (more commonly available to my area)
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    I see the HTP is a fire tube (up-fired).

The Lockinvar series is a water tube with pump inside and uses what appears to be the same HXC that I often clean the coffee grounds out of on boilers.

Any opinions, or would it be an obvious choice?
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    What you have referred to appears to be tank less water heaters.

I have looked at a lot of HTP info online concerning their Phoenix commercial water heaters and it is inferred that that their tanks/heat exchangers for these products are at least "North American Made". Not the actual statement that this tank and SS heat exchanger was made and welded in the USA.