Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Laars help

Options
I'm pretty good with troubleshooting Laars boilers, but this JVH100N (power vent, hot surface ignition) has me at a disadvantage. The pilot will light, but the main burner will not come on. There is no ignition control module and the whole ignition process seems controlled by the gas valve. I can't tell if the rectification signal is bad or if it's a bad gas valve.

Any help would be appreciated.
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• aircooled81
    aircooled81 Member Posts: 205
    Options
    Did you figure it out?
    Is it thermocouple for flame sense, or is the igniter also the pilot flame sense?
    Looks like variations of this boiler have interlocks between the main gas valve, like roll out and flue limit.
    Id be interested to hear how you check the mili amp on a dual purpose ignitor and flame sensor, does letting the ignitor run theough your meter while sparking damage it?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Contact @Tim McElwain . That is a Honeywell Smart Valve, and sometimes they forget to be smart. He has a good check list of things to check prior to replacement.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Henry
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Hey guys:

I was surprised (and pleased) to find out that Laars tech. support regularly monitors The Wall and it was George, from Laars that called me to help me out.

The safety string (flame rollout switch, spill switch, etc.) has to be satisfied before the pilot is lit and if the main gas valve doesn't come on, something in the SmartValve is preventing that from happening. I've ordered both a SmartValve and igniter.

Thanks George, aircooled81 and Mark!

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    You're welcome. I am surprised the Joanie Mishou didn't respond. I know she frequents this place. All the smart people do :wink:

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.