Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Should Feeder Pump discharge be throttled down... Picture of wire drawn erosion.

Options
JUGHNE
JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
edited March 2016 in Strictly Steam
Have hospital with 2 80HP Kewanee steam boilers. Only one on line at a time.
Operator has mentioned they wear out the brass check valves at the pump quite often. 1 1/2" check, poppet in vertical line type, steam rated. He said there are groves cut into the brass/bronze from use.

These vertical poppets are just above the pedestal pumps, there is also a swing check where it goes into the HL. (maybe 12' of piping involved)
These pumps will run just a few seconds for their cycle. I suggested throttling the discharge down to reduce the velocity thru the checks reducing wear. Also I wonder if that inrush would surge the water level up to shut off the feeder switch prematurely thereby not getting a full level of fill each time and increasing the recycling of feeder.
There is a older gate valve above the check and a good ball valve below it. I suggest throttling the ball valve below.

Pump is controlled by MM 150 SHD. System runs at 5 PSI.

Operator is leery of changing anything....... just because........ it has always been that way. ;)

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Sounds like the pumps are quite a bit oversized. Perhaps you could shave the impellers?
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Installed new in mid 1970's, sized for more load than might be today with 65 amb. Shaving impellers would be drastic for the operator.......throttling the output shouldn't hurt anything IMO or not?....simple and reversible.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    It will eat the ball valve too. If the ball valve isn't critical, then go for it, but if it is needed for isolation, proceed with caution. What you're seeing is called fine wire drawing. It is hydraulic erosion corrosion, the physical eating of material due to velocity. It is enhanced when oxygen is present.

If there is a union present, you might be better off putting a round restrictive orifice inside the union to give it something to work against. That too will eventually fail, but is replaceable without a lot of work. Use the hardest metal you can find that is non ferrous, stainless steel?

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Ball valves a fraction of the cost of steam rated check valve though.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    Is controlling the pump speed an option?
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Probably not feasible....another thing for someone to adjust or monitor. Just choking down the discharge seems the simplest way. If not enough flow the burner would shut down. Water level would have to drop another inch or so before the float feeder would kick in with fresh water.
    Looking at some piping diagrams for feeder pumps most show a throttling valve installed after the check valve. So I'm guessing it may be a common practice.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Globe valve?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    SWEI said:

Globe valve?

Yup. If one wants reliable flow control, a globe valve is the way to do it. Depending on the size, it can be manual or -- more in larger sizes -- there is a variety of trims which can be added to maintain a constant flow, constant pressure drop, constant upstream or downstream pressures... etc.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Thanks to all. From Dan's book it seems that both condensate pumps and feed pumps would have the same piping between pump and boiler. There is really no problem other than the wear on the check valves. I will try to convince the operator to cut down on the ball valve. (even though it is before the check with the gate after). Hope to get pictures of the worn check.
  • JUGHNE
    edited March 2016
    Options
    These are the check valves that failed. Both are "Strataflo" made in Fort Wayne, IN...USA.

The one with the serious wire draw scoring is on the left and is marked "F 6 #300 1 1/2" 200 LB." Was just replaced. (don't have the poppet here). Looks like it was passing metal files or hacksaw blades........I wonder if the poppet was sticking and barely opening??

The one on the right, with it's poppet, is from the other pump and is marked "2014 E No. 400 1 1 /2" 400 LB". It had failed within the last year. (only had 2 deep scores)
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Thought I would bump this up before it fell completely off the edge. Quite the severe wear on the check valve....any comment?