Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat suggestions

Options
Koan
Koan Member Posts: 439
Hi all

Looking for a good thermostat for steam heat with the possibility of controlling AC in the future
2 pipe vapor system that is short cycling and appears to be doing so because of the ancient motorized thermostat.

Looking for programmable and possibly wifi control.

Thank you!

Comments

• Parachute
    Parachute Member Posts: 25
    Options
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,334
    Options
    Are you sure the apparent short cycling is the thermostat?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Koan
    Options
    @Jamie Hall good question Jamie - I'll see if the Pressuretrol is tripping at 8 oz where it is set. Think I need to clean and blow down the pigtails for the Pressuretrol and gauge.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,334
    Options
    I only ask because if it's your pressurtrol (which can't possibly be set to 8 ounces -- they don't go that low -- is it a vapourstat?) changing the thermostat isn't going to make a bit of difference.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Koan
    Options
    @Jamie Hall Sorry - I stand corrected looks like a Vaporstat!
    I will monitor closely to see if the cycling is bc of pressure. when it warms up outside I'll clean the pigtails!
  • Koan
    Options
    @Jamie Hall Hi - Indeed one pigtail was clogged so I am replacing both. In addition the gauge was stuck at 3oz. of steam pressure so I cleaned and lubed the works and re calibrated the zero to "0". It is all apart now bc the wet return near the boiler was almost completely occluded with no flush valves.