Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dealing with mercury in an old heating system

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 664
edited March 2016 in THE MAIN WALL

imageDealing with mercury in an old heating system

Dealing with mercury in an old heating system

Read the full story here

Comments

• Steph
    Steph Member Posts: 2
    You got that right like a Hoffman Differential Loop on a steam system. I wounder how many people have seen one of these?
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    Many years ago the AUTHORITIES discovered a block of asbestos at the old naval air station in Squantum. You would have thought they found a ticking bomb. They had men out there in moon suits working on that at God only knows what cost to the taxpayer.

Now this was in an area hundreds of yards away from anything else. A reasonable man would have dug a hole in the marsh and buried the damn thing. It came out of the earth, put it back!

I guess i won't tell the authorities about the mercury contactors I have down the cellar, never mind the mercury bulbs in my vaporstat.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    ChrisJ
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,092
    I deal with old stuff all the time -- and the hands in the pocket advice is excellent! And humourous! The only thing I might add is -- if you don't know what it does or how, leave it as is until you can figure it out. It worked once, after all...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Remember a few years ago, they had a pipe burst in a parking garage in NYC, and they quarantined the garage and all the cars for days? Imagine how pissed off those folks were.
  • DonaldBrianBaker
    DonaldBrianBaker Member Posts: 1
    Great article thank you. I especially like your quote,"I suppose it all depends on where we happen to be standing in life's timeline. We're all ignorant at some point. I can only hope that we continue to study and learn and get better at what we do."