Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to properly skim a new steam boiler.

Options
PhilDavid
PhilDavid Member Posts: 68
Over 12 years I've worked for 3 company's. The method for skimming a new steam boiler pretty much has been the same. Dump a can of Squick in the boiler, wait a day (or even weeks with one company) and go back and skim. Just keep on skimming until that water is clear and priming is gone. This was how I was taught and is how many are taught in eastern MA as well. I reached out to the maker of Squick, Silverking, and this is the response I got.

Q. Hi, I'm a heating contractor and wanted first hand info on how long to leave Squick in a steam boiler before skimming. Some guys will add Squick and leave it in for weeks before skimming. Some will add the Squick, grab lunch, and go back and skim. What is the appropriate duration of leaving Squick in a new steam boiler? And is it the same for treating an old boiler?

A. Dear Phil, I do not recommend surface skimming ,you will skim off the Squick. Instead draw water from the bottom drain until soft sludge is removed. usually 2-3 days unless it is a new boiler, then 1 day or less. Thank you

So are the pros out there just skimming off the oil initially with no treatments or additives, then adding Squick, and then going back later to drain the boiler as per recommended? I'm really psyched to know what other guys are doing!!

Comments