Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Keeping steam heat and AC on separate thermostat?

Options
SteamworkS
SteamworkS Member Posts: 14
I thought this discussion had been addressed in the past but couldn't find it in past posts.

I have a one-pipe gas fired steam system for my heat and am getting a Unico small duct high velocity AC system (cooling only) installed. I currently have a Nest controlling my steam boiler. The HVAC contractor would like to have a single Honeywell thermostat control both the steam heat and cooling. Am I correct in remembering that problems can arise when you ask a single thermostat to control two very different methods of heating and cooling? What kind of problems are they and are they usually associated with an electrician who isn't experienced with linking two systems?

Thanks.

Comments

• Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Any capable heating and air conditioning contractor should be a to connect the 2...on the same thermostat ....why not just keep them seperate?
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    The Honeywell Visionpro should be separately configurable for heating and cooling cycles, and would certainly do a better job on the steam control.--NBC
  • SteamworkS
    SteamworkS Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll go with the Visionpro to see if I can play with the CPH. Does anyone know how that works - would the Visionpro figure out how long it would take to bring the space up to temp and divide that out so that it doesn't satisfy the thermostat too early leaving the homeowner cold waiting for the next hour to begin?
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,640
    Options
    I had found a tech doc that describes the operation of the VisionPRO stat.