Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viessmann Vitodens 200-W B2HA vs. Triangle Tube solo 110

Marinko
Marinko Member Posts: 10
I am currently replacing an old cast iron boiler with a high efficiency model. I have proposals to install a TT or a Viessman. Setting price aside, what are the pros and cons of these boilers? Which is more durable?

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Well that has to be a big boiler because Viessmann is on to B2HB from the 19 to the 57. Meaning you'd be looking at a B2HA-80 which is 285,000 Btu/hr. That aside...

Warranty - Viessmann HX is limited lifetime. 10 years 100% then the warranty is pro-rated from there.

You pay this % of the current list price
    11th year – 20%; 12th year – 40%; 13th year – 50%; 14th year
    – 60%; 15th year and beyond– 75%

Viessmann manufactures their own HX which is 316Ti SA 240 Stainless Steel. They don't use a 3rd party. They also manufacture the gas valve, target walls, wiring harnesses, the software/controls as well. They utilize Lamada Pro Combustion. In layman terms boiler monitors combustion, makes adjustments on the fly. All threw a flame rod basically. No fancy sensors, expensive parts.

Triangle - 10 Years warranty on HX and you're done. They don't manufacture it, they don't make their control, they don't make their gas valve. A very nice, assembled machine though.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

GordyMarinko
  • Marinko
    The proposal that I have does call out a Vitodens B2HA, is it possible that the installer has erred in calling for a B2HA?
    I am leaning towards the Veissmann, based on what I am reading regaurding the HX. It seems that TT may be using a giacomini heat exchanger, which some people have described as rather thin gauge stainless. The Veissmann is described as using a heavier gauge titanium/stainless alloy. I assume that this is better; however, I am uncertain about how much of difference this makes to the longevity of the boilers.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    I prefer Viessmann, all else being equal
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    Marinko
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    I would be asking more on how they sized the boiler. Making sure the boiler is sized right will ensure against short cycling making for longer boiler life in general. I would go with the contractor you trust more. Both are great boilers if installed properly.

Ironman
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    edited March 2016
    WB2HA starts from 19, Viessmann is the best boiler on the market.
    Marinko
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,440
    Marinko said:

The proposal that I have does call out a Vitodens B2HA, is it possible that the installer has erred in calling for a B2HA?
    I am leaning towards the Veissmann, based on what I am reading regaurding the HX. It seems that TT may be using a giacomini heat exchanger, which some people have described as rather thin gauge stainless. The Veissmann is described as using a heavier gauge titanium/stainless alloy. I assume that this is better; however, I am uncertain about how much of difference this makes to the longevity of the boilers.

No, it's not a Gianonni. TT uses a fire tube HX that made of 316Ti. Its HX has been well-proved in the North American market. Because of the low head of its fire tube HX, it may be able to be direct piped in SOME applications.

We sell both the Viessman and the TT. I'd give an edge to the Viessman, but both are good products.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Marinko
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited March 2016
    Ironman said:

TT uses a fire tube HX that made of 316Ti.

Viessmann uses 316 Ti. I thought TT was using a 400 series alloy? For some reason 439 comes to mind.
    Marinko
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    The B2HA19,26,35,45,57 have been replaced by the B2HB version for the past 6-9 months. Goes for the Vitodens 222F as well.

Triangle does not use a 316 Ti stainless and they also don't manufacture it. It's made by AIC out of Poland and is not a Sermeta (aka Gianonni) Heat Exchanger.

http://www.myaic.com/uploads/oryginal/1/3f34d9d0_PG.pdf

Marinko
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Both boilers are great but another reality to consider is whether replacements parts are available locally and whether your contractor of choice stocks those parts. If a contractor commits to a specific mod con, they need to commit to an inventory of replacement parts as well.
    Steve Minnich
    Marinko
  • Marinko
    Thank you all for the helpful comments and insights. This wall is a great source of useful information. I appreciate all who share their expertise.
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Viessmann is superior in my opinion however I would say Triangle Tube is my runner up of choice.
    To me, one is an S-class and the other is an Acura.
    :NYplumber:
    Marinko
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    The best boiler in the world, is only as good as the installer. Correctly sizing the boiler, with the use of an accurate heat loss calculation is critical. If any potential installer does not take the time to go around and measure, room by room, there is no sense in going any farther. That installer is not qualified to install your boiler, and there is nothing that they could say that should change that fact.
    IronmanMarinkoSWEI
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    @Paul48 is on the money
    :NYplumber:
    Marinko
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 532
    NYplumber said:

...To me, one is an S-class and the other is an Acura.

Having owned both Mercedes and Honda products, I read that as a strong endorsement of the Triangle Tube boiler. :)

SWEI