Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Another Amtrol Boilermate Problem

Options
Hi I have WH-7 and I am getting intermittent heat with it. It has intermittent heat, and not high enough temperature. The water from the boiler is hot going into the heater, but the return is cold and never heats up. When I shut the feed to the hot water heater it gets hot past the zone valve, so I know that I have flow there. The heating system for the house works right, and I have this issue both when the zones are active, and when they are not.
Any ideas on what I can do to try and get hot water again?

The interesting thing is that it is intermittent, and it is not the digital control but the analog dial..

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    First thing to do is find out if it is a control issue or a flow issue.
    Do you have pictures?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Hmmmm.... Bad end switch in zone valve .....With just the the hot water heater calling is the zone valve opening up ? If yes does the circulator kick on ? From what you are saying and the way its working I would be checking the end switch ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    The Amtrol boilermates were always problematic. The coil may be partially blocked or covered with scale. I've rarely seen one that lasted more than 7-10 years where the water chemistry was decent. Replace it with a stainless steel indirect with a 1" coil and it will last significantly longer without issues. If your boiler water or potable water has significant hardness or boiler pH is not 8-9, there will be problems.
    SWEI
  • Tim Potter
    Tim Potter Member Posts: 273
    Options
    I have a boilermate in one of our units, it started to act sketchy, I replaced the factory black knob temp control with a Johnson control A419, so If it is a control issue & not a pump, valve or scale issue, that is an easy fix.
    http://www.supplyhouse.com/A419-Series-Temperature-Controls-10146000
    Your choice of 120v or 24v, get a long enough lead so you can mount the control at eye level....

works great now.

@PaulPollets, what brands/models do you get good service from?

HTH,

Tim
    Winter Park, CO & Arvada, CO
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Tim, my preference is the Viessmann VitoCell 300 tanks.
    Tim Potter