Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removal of old boiler plugs. Tired of drilling and cutting them out

Options
PhilDavid
PhilDavid Member Posts: 68
Every once in a while I come across bad steam install that has aged a little or a lot. Only one boiler riser when two are clearly necessary, no skim port, ect... So when tackling those old block plugs I do what I was taught. I cut off the square nut, then drill out the center, and finally I cut out a pie slice (being vigilant not to score the tapping threads) and pry out the plug. It works and it sucks... Ugh So I've read guys have had success using an impact gun with 8 point sockets. This sounds brilliant but I'm really freaked out about cracking a block. Have any of you cracked a block removing a plug with an impact? Also if this is a safe and common way to extract old plugs, what size 8-point sockets would I need?

Comments

• happydave
    happydave Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Keep doing it the way you are. Unless the boiler was less than a couple years old you're asking for trouble with a impact.
    Charlie from wmass
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Options
    Been using an impact gun for years.
    Only quick sure way to remove them unless you enjoy cutting them out. I don't.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Next time you have a dead boiler in front of you, give the impact method a try, and see if it cracks any metal around the plug.
    Someone posted a method using parrifin wax, melted into the threads, which was supposed to lube them up before the removal.--NBC
    LionA29
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Impact gun to remove 4" and 6" plugs? Dunno.. I have my doubts.
  • PhilDavid
    Options
    P

Been using an impact gun for years.
    Only quick sure way to remove them unless you enjoy cutting them out. I don't.

Robert O'Connor/NJ

What size sockets do you use and how powerful of an impact?
  • PhilDavid
    Options

Impact gun to remove 4" and 6" plugs? Dunno.. I have my doubts.

Yeah me too. I wouldn't consider an impact for any plugs over 2"
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    I just ordered 8 point sockets from 13/16" up to 1". A 1" IPS needs a 7/8" square socket. It is the drain port for an old condensate pump.
    Impact rated sockets by Proto/Blackhawk that size are about 12-15 bucks each from Total Tool Co.

A 2" ips plug would take a fair sized socket and a good size impact to hammer on it. Again I would always use some penetrating oil several times, then some hammer tapping before impact wrench.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    I have an old impact driver that gets used with a hammer, it converts the hammer blow very effectively. I wonder if something like that would work, you would have to use good judgement about the force you applied.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    An old timer said you can heat the plug red hot and then throw a bucket of cold water on it and it would unscrew!! I wouldn't try it myself but that would be a good experiment with a junk boiler, as NBC suggested above for impact testing on one.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    It's as easy as one, two, three.......OH F--K!!! You might never have a problem, then again, Mr. Murphy might show up, and ruin your day. The slow way, is the safest way.
    Charlie from wmass
  • BobC
    Options
    If you got the whole area red hot and then put a piece of dry ice on the plug I guarantee that plug would contract.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • BobC
    Options
    Make sure you have good ventilation, some of those sprays can form some very nasty byproducts. Dry ice is old school but it's pretty benign.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • Rrey
    Rrey Member Posts: 18
    Options
    I used heat to remove some stuck extol tanks from time to time but also had the scoop Crack when tightening the new tank (by hand) so I'd be mighty leery to do it on a boiler block.
  • john p_2
    john p_2 Member Posts: 367
    Options
    Did a large steam to hot water conversion job and it required removing tons of plugs.....the only thing that worked perfectly every time was using heat. And it has to be heated until it's cherry red. We never put cold water on it though, as I read earlier sugvested.
    Hatterasguy
  • BobC
    Options
    I think the key is to heat the area around the plug and then cool only the plug, that is why dry ice might be a good option.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • LionA29
    LionA29 Member Posts: 255
    Options
    I'm up for this in a couple days and will post my results.
    I'm removing a 2 1/2" top riser tap.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Take some pictures as you do it!--NBC
    LionA29
  • LionA29
    Options
    Yes sir
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Great, we will all benefit by seeing the steps!--NBC
  • Jack M
    Jack M Member Posts: 229
    Options
    Video is also an effective tool
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Cast iron does not like rapid changes in temperature. CRACK!!!! The sound will haunt your dreams. Drill, cut, move on. Better slow than broke instead of fast and broken.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    jonny88
  • john p_2
    john p_2 Member Posts: 367
    Options
    I have never seen using heat not work.....
  • LionA29
    Options
    Finally got to it!
    First, I cut the square head off and then cut from the center( hole) out toward the tap threads.
    Then I took a hammer and slightly tap the cut pieces
    ( pizza slice) to break it off. I stuffed a rag inside the hole so none of the pieces fell in.
    That was the end of that process.
    Here is the pic.
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    Good job! Now just get that gas union out from under the cover :wink:
    LionA29
  • LionA29
    Options
    Thank you @Danny Scully Will do!