Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

can i dual drop the header AND the steam header?

Options
due to space concerns in the basement i want to provide correct pitch. i will drop the header to reach at least 24" or more of distance. now in order to get the 28" or more distance to the steam header... i have just realize i could also drop the steam head from which i will branch off to all my radiators.

this is a dual drop system.

am i missing something? or is this a decent direction to head.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Is this a parallel-flow, or counter-flow system?
    Can you draw a diagram of what you want to do? Is there a problem with the pitch of the main now, which requires some adjustment?
    as long as you have 24 inches of riser from the boiler, and then a drop-header height a bit above the boiler top, you should have plenty of room for any resloping.--NBC
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 958
    Options
    Adding to what NBC said, I think it is a fine thing to do. Provided that you bring each equalizer/header drain down separately, each header's rise is cumulative. So if you have, say, 20" from the water line to the top of the knee in the riser (before it drops) and you were to come out of the first drop header into the second with a 12", you'll pretty much have an effective 32" so far as the steam quality is concerned.
    terry
    matthew_rogers
  • matthew_rogers
    matthew_rogers Member Posts: 33
    Options
    ttekushan said:

Provided that you bring each equalizer/header drain down separately, each header's rise is cumulative...

your comment is very interesting b/c i had not given the drainage of my proposed "drop steam header" any consideration. I have a one pipe steam system, so i would need to introduce a few places to allow my condesate to flow back into my wetreturn.

perhaps you have ever seen an example of this?

and if i understood your use of the term equalizer, it sounds like i am adding equalizers. (i thought the equalizer was ONLY just at the end of the initial header pipe) but seeing as i am altering the condesate return witha drop on the steam header i am ineffect cutting off the return water from that final equalizer pipe. thus i need to add additional ones.

have i processed and understood your meaning, sir?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    However many risers you have... you go up straight from each one as high as you can -- 24 inches at least, if possible. Then over 90. Over just below horizontal (away from the boiler for say 18 inches, although a foot will do -- whatever works. then down 90. Then down to your drop header, which can be as low as you like so long as it is above the water line in the boiler. The drop header slopes again, slightly, down from one end. At the high end your pipes from the riser(s). Then a foot or so on your connection(s) to your steam mains, going straight up. Then at the low end you connect the equalizer.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    matthew_rogers