Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Issues need advice!

just bought a new house and for the first time in my life I am dealing with a boiler. It was just installed in 2013 and seems to work great! Actually a little to great. Since moving in I have kept two of the 3 thermostats off in the house and the place is cooking like 75' and there is no way to adjust it or turn it off.

The only thermostat that seems to work is the kitchen and that one works great and responds all the rest are turned off but a ton of heat is coming out. We are opening the windows in Buffalo, NY in the middle of winter just to cool the place down so we can sleep at night.

I have attached a few pics of what I am working with I am hoping you can give me some advice. Tonight I shut the water off to all the zones but the kitchen to hope alleviate the heat till I can figure out how to adjust it.

Dunkirk Boiler installed in 2013
Taco 4 Zone Valve Control
Honeywell themostats

Any advice?

Thanks,

Craig

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    First of all, open the valves back up. Youre going to burn out your circulators, if you haven't already. It's probably constantly running to high limit.
    You may have a wiring issue, control issue, or a problem with your boiler controls. Either way you need a pro in there-sooner the better. The last thing you want is a runaway boiler.
    This is very easy to trouble shoot. You know youre literally throwing money out the window.
    steve
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Steve's advice is, as usual, excellent. The first thing to do, after you call a pro., though may save both him and you some time: see if you can figure out what is keeping the boiler running. It may be as simple as a short in one of thermostat wires (such as someone putting a staple or a nail in the wrong place).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Leo_G
    Leo_G Member Posts: 89
    Yeah, I would look at the wiring in the Taco control box. Seems that last on right is jumpered with zone 3, where is that going?

Do you have a primary circ?

Look at the Taco literature for their control and see if your set-up makes sense.

https://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/102-389.pdf