Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trane vapor system

Dave_23
Dave_23 Member Posts: 190
I have a residential two-pipe Trane steam system fed from a WM EC-35. I finally got around to installing an oz/in gauge on my system. Although the house heats evenly and just fine, the system only makes about 1.5 oz of pressure at full steam. My vaporstat is set to cut out at 4 oz of pressure (system never trips on pressure, only temp). Is 1.5 oz full pressure too low, indicative of a leak or is it ideal (low pressure being better)? Thoughts and thanks?

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    if it heats all the rads at 1.5 ounces, that great. Not indicative of a leak, especially if you are not adding much water to the boiler.
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    Sounds like Dave is bragging to me
  • Fred
    SlamDunk said:

Sounds like Dave is bragging to me

Lol, I think so.
  • Dave_23
    Dave_23 Member Posts: 190
    :) Not bragging LOL, just a homeowner with a rudimentary knowledge of steam systems. The water level never drops and the boiler only feeds every third year or so. I have to check the feeder every so often to make sure it's still working. Btw, I have an EG-35, not an EC. I heard low pressure is best, but wasn't sure. Most of what I've learned about steam is from The Wall.
  • Fred
    It soounds like that system is working perfectly! Maintain it properly and if you decide to "Tinker" with it, put it back the way it is!