Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dunkirk ?

Options
jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
Came across a poorly installed boiler which is going to require a repipe.Dunkirk mod/con I forget model number but it has p/s built in with a 26-99 inside boiler.Heat exchanger looks great and well built.I think it is built domestically which I like.Any one have experience with unit?Thanks.

Comments

• todd_ecr
    todd_ecr Member Posts: 92
    Options
    Yes, we make them right here in Utica NY. The Dunkirk Helix VLT is the cousin of the the Utica SSC. Bob Gagnon recently posted an installation of a couple SSC's here titled 'Boston High Efficiency Boiler Installation'. Check out that thread.

The VLT is our flagship mod con boiler. We also make the VX which is based off the VLT. It shares the same heat exchanger and Argus control system, but lacks the pri/sec piping, LWCO, internal pump and will have a lower price point.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I know the boiler inside and out as I'm one of ECR's Technical Support Rep's and a Technical Trainer.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Thank you @ todd_ecr.This particular boiler hasn't been fired up yet,but we are scheduled to do a repipe starting Monday.Will definitly hit you up when we start her.One? whats with the port for the combustion analyser,seems to be in a bit of a tight spot.I saw Bobs install it really looks great.I believe we have the VLT model.What caught my attention is how you secured the top of the heat exchanger,TT could learn a lesson.Thanks again.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Good on Utica boilers to have Todd here to answer any questions.
    So far as I know, there are only Bob Rohr-Caleffi, and Sailah-Barnes and Jones.
    In the old days we had Bill@Honeywell, and Glenn Stanton, as well as Noel, with his wonderful video of Pyrex piping on a steam boiler, but no more. There have been too many complainers-bully victims of bad installs making trouble for the manufacturer.
    If only we could have more manufacturers here! We could handle their tech support problems better than Bombay, (whoops Mumbai!).--NBC
    todd_ecrRobert O'Brienvaporvac
  • todd_ecr
    Options
    I'll agree, the test port is in a tight spot. It's tighter on the 50-100mbh units. The 299 has one in the vertical vent pipe and is very easy to access.

A piece of pressure switch tubing or vacuum hose on the end of your analyzer wand is key here. It's impossible without it.

I'm aware of it. I've heard enough feedback about it. I'll pass it on to engineering.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    I've installed several and was invited to the factory with some other contractors years ago to give input as to what we wanted to see in a mod/con. These boilers are the second generation of that, the GB97 was the first. One of the things that we really stressed was that ECR had to develope a reliable HX that would stand up for years in American homes: we were tired of seeing the failures of Gianonnis that other brands used. These boilers are the result of that and have shown good results in the ones we've installed.

The installation is very easy and the controls simple to work with. It's well worth the extra $$ to get the VLT/SSC which has internal p/s, onboard circ and LWCO, unless you have an unusual install that doesn't need it. You can't piece it together in the field cheaper than the factory can do it.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    todd_ecrRobert O'Brien
  • todd_ecr
    Options
    Johnny88, feel free to call me at the office @ (315)731-4163 or pm me and I'll give you my cell#. I have a very busy week this coming week and won't be answering phones much in Tech. If you want to call into Tech call 800 253-7900.

I'd be more than happy to guide you through setting up the control and doing a combustion setup.
    SWEIjonny88