Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

condensate return

Options
I have a Dunkirk/ Bryant steam boiler that was installed in my 6 unit in 2004. I had to have some minor repairs done but
now I am experiencing that the condensate return line is or does not appear to be refilling the boiler to the halfway mark. in the past, I have had to add a small amount of water to get to the half way mark but now it seems like almost every day. the auto refill valve comes on and fills it to about 1/2 inch from the bottom just to keep the boiler running.
I have opened the check valve outside back further in the basement and when the boiler was hot and the pipe had water in it but when the boiler cycled off and cooled down I checked the water in the check valve location and there was no water, at least back as far as I could insert my finger. there are no leaks anywhere so. where is this water going? The boiler seems to heat the building just fine. It's just a pain having to manually raise the water level back halfway up the sight glass every other day. any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,318
    Options
    Water doesn't just vanish. If you are having to refill that boiler to keep it running, the water is going somewhere. Which means there is a leak. Can't avoid it. Do you see a plume of steam coming out of the chimney? The most likely place for a more or less sudden leak is in the boiler itself, quite likely above the water line. You could try filling the boiler up (don't forget to drop it down again!) when it is off and cold, and see if you see any water in the fire chamber or outside.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Dave in QCA
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Hidden wet return is leaking?
    Dave in QCA