Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

one pipe system with some radiators having two pipes on the first floor

Options
The building I have has a store (a restaurant location) and I noticed that 3 radiators have 2 pipes and 2 radiators have just one pipe. They all work though. Is this normal or does it affects the functioning in other areas? I have always have issues in the building with banging, some cold radiators, flooding, etc.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,338
    Options
    There's no good reason why it won't work -- if everything is done right.

The radiators with just one pipe: make sure they are pitched towards the valve, and make sure the valve is fully open. If the valve is open but the radiator doesn't heat, make sure the vent is open (part way up the opposite end from the inlet).

The radiators with two pipes. Can you take a photo of one, or describe further? If they are "real" two pipe radiators, there will be a steam inlet with a valve at one end -- usually at the top, but sometimes at the bottom. There will also be an outlet at the bottom, usually at the other end but sometimes at the same end. That may have a trap on it, and the outlet may be warm, but shouldn't be steam hot. The radiator should be pitched towards the bottom outlet.

OK. Now. If you have banging, it is almost always from water getting trapped in the pipes somewhere. Go through the whole system -- every length of pipe -- and make sure that all of the pipes are pitched so that water can drain back, one way or another, towards the boiler. Level won't do; there has to be a definite pitch.

At the boiler, there will be a pressure control. It should be set so that the boiler cuts out at no more than 1.5 psi -- but without knowing what you have, I can't go farther than that.

Some pictures of the boiler, showing the piping around it, and some pictures of the radiators will help.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    I am familiar with a large old home nearby that has a combination of 1-pipe and Vented 2-pipe. In this case, the 2-pipe vented rads are on the second and third floor. My assumption is that it was easier to hide the smaller pipes used on the 2-pipe vented rad as they ran to the upper floors inside the walls.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • papa12603
    papa12603 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks Jamie and Dave. I will take pictures and post them very soon thanks so much.