Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

3rd Floor radiator isn't heating up

George_Astoria
George_Astoria Member Posts: 3
edited January 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
I have a 3 story building. Steam heated one pipe radiators. In one corner of the building there is a line that used to feed a bedroom radiator on each floor. The radiators on the 1st and 2nd floor have been removed a few years ago and capped. And the 3rd floor radiator currently doesn't heat up. One cold night i changed the thermostat and ran the boiler hard and the heat got up to that radiator. Last winter that radiator was working fine. No complaints from the tenant. Why is the radiator currently not working properly? Does it have anything to do with the 1st and 2nd floor radiators being removed? Does removing radiators cause any problems? Or is it simply an air vent replacement issue? I don't remember the last time they were replaced.
Thank you for your help.

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    The air vent sounds like a good place to start.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,092
    First thing I'd try would be a bigger vent on that radiator -- the poor thing is trying to vent not only the radiator, but the runout and riser as well. If that doesn't help, try putting a big vent on the riser -- at least a Gorton#1 -- as high as you can get it (best would be at the top, if there is a convenient fitting! But perhaps at one of the places where the radiators below were capped off).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • George_Astoria
    Thanks so much for the advice. I'll try that this evening and hopefully it will work.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Install a Gorton #D on the valve side of the radiator and a Gorton #5 on the far side of the valve.
  • George_Astoria
    I found a Hoffman 40 air vent in a box in the basement so I took out the old air vent and installed the Hoffman. Everything seems to be working now.
    Thanks for all the help!!!