Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

This is Heartbreaking! A Steam Radiator Graveyard

Options
I just did a quick search to find a steam professional in my area and this is what I saw! The worse picture is all the beautiful steam radiators laid out on the lawn after they were removed from the house so they can be replaced with baseboard water radiators. Check out the comments under the pictures. I definitely will not be using these guys to replace my boiler!! Copy and paste link in browser.
http://www.halcoenergy.com/heating/photo-gallery/1742-album-boiler-replacement-in-ithaca-ny.html#ad-image-0

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Sick, Sick, Sick!
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    I just threw up in my mouth. I pray they didn't just scrap those rads, but judging by the comments I am sure they did. I guess people really are clueless as to how valuable they are. Another thing if these are just apartments I would bet those boilers are massively oversized and really not saving as much fuel as they convinced the customer it would. Of course since they will compare it to the old improperly functioning steam system they will be fooled. No way they recover the cost of that install when compared to just fixing the steam system. Ugly radiators? If they are so ugly to people then those people need to stop buying these old houses. Buy a new house they suck as much as you will make the old house suck when your remodeling is done.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Dave in QCA
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    "unsightly radiators" lol
    ChrisJ
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    While it is said that there is "no accounting for taste," there is accounting for intelligence, and these folks come up pretty short. There opinion that radiators are ugly is something that my mother would have said in 1960. Opinions have changed, and there is nothing like the comfort from cast iron radiant heat. And, my radiators don't go click click click like those awful baseboards do.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    "A look at all of the unsightly radiators that we took out of this Ithaca, NY apartment house."

I felt I just had a view of an unsightly contractor.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    vr608
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Been hearing waaay too many people tell me they can't a plumber because they have steam heat..............smh

Actually I think thats better then mister know it all who tells customers their system is outdated and needs to ripped out and replaced with MODERN heating......
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    ChrisJ
  • Daniel_3
    Daniel_3 Member Posts: 543
    Options
    Tis a shame indeed
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    retards!
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

ChrisJ
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Options
    fools
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    can't we try to fix stupid? or is that out of the question?
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    You can numb it with a 2x4, but it can't be cured.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    vr608vaporvac
  • gliptitude
    gliptitude Member Posts: 65
    Options
    The radiators in the photo are all each in one piece still. Wouldn't they have broken them into pieces before trying to move them if all they intended to do was scrap? I certainly would have. I imagine they salvaged them in one way or another.
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    Options
    Sigh. Opposite end of the spectrum here. My city is taking down 3 old, interconnected buildings, built in 1888 or so. There are 38 hot water radiators in the buildings running off of one centrally located, original boiler, with a conversion oil gun installed, along with a few big circulators to 'help' the old gravity system along. Most of the rads are Arco 3 columns, though the most recently used part of the building has some newer 6-tube rads. One central thermostat. The buildings themselves are in bad shape and are condemned.

I work for the city. Our head building inspector is handling the bidding out of the contents (TONS of old tools, small steam engines, and so on jammed into the huge basement). The owner (same family for 100 years) was a collector of anything and everything, and lots of tools and equipment from the Frasier Shipyards nearby. They have sold most of the stuff in the building now, including original tin and copper ceiling plates, and made a ridiculous amount of money to pay for the asbestos abatement and demolition (owner couldn't pay out of pocket - long sad story).

I emailed the inspector about purchasing a single radiator to use in my basement. Even now, tonight, at -9*F, the boiler is running and still heating the empty building, as it will until the 3 new 500 gal oil tanks are empty. So I know the rads are good.

He emailed back saying I was welcome to put in a bid for the removal of "all mechanical systems within the structure including the heating system". That's the only way they'll do it. He went on to inform me that I don't know what I'm talking about, as these radiators are extremely rare and worth thousands of dollars apiece, and so on. Sigh.

The last building we took down was a similar story...and all the radiators got trucked down to the scrapyard for $15/ton. That's what will happen this time too I'm sure.

So they'll all end up scrapped simply because a single person is OVER-VALUING them. Sheesh. I'm going to try to find out who won the bid when the time comes, and contact them directly. Maybe I'll have better luck.

At any rate, $5 says the radiators will still be in the building when the wrecking ball hits it. Stupid.

And the contractor in the post above is also stupid. Hey, maybe those fancy new boilers are only 10k btu apiece, right? Pfffffft.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    Options
    Another find from that building...my coworker (our welder/fabricator) fell in love with this baby and I helped him haul it up and out of the basement through an outside bulkhead. This was a month ago...he has it running and functioning now. I think he said he found a casting date of 1914 on it somewhere.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • vibert_c
    vibert_c Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Last summer I bid on an entire residential system gravity hot water that was installed in 1908. Nine Radiators and a SF Intrepid boiler from 2013. My bid for the cost of the oil in the tank was accepted and I was estatic. There were no other bids. Moral of story, "nothing ventured nothing gained"