Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A Tribute to Rod Jermain

Options
Dave in QCA
Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
edited April 2018 in Strictly Steam
I was just looking through a folder of steam related documents on my laptop. I stumbled over one that I had not seen in quite some time, and in fact, had forgotten all about. It is entitled "System Venting" by Rod (Jermain).

I am sure that many of the old timers on here will remember Rod, he posted on here at least twice a day under the name of "Rod". He was incredibly hard working and helpful. His understanding of steam systems was amazing. He usually started out his helpful answers with a request for pictures. Once posted, he would take the picture, then add lines, arrows, and labels. It is always so helpful to define the components and greatly assisted the original poster as well as other "helpers" as we go about identifying problems and offering solutions. His manner of helping was much like that of an educator!

When I first found Heating Help forum, I was amazed at the vast amount of archived information that existed and the willingness of so many really smart people to take their precious time and help others solve problems. There were so many people when I first got online, I made myself a word doc list as a reference so that I could keep folks straight in my mind until they were all committed to memory. Of course there are the pros who form the backbone and everyone waits for them to pop and an share their wisdom on difficult discussions. I'm always amazed out how the pros can render so much knowledge in so few words; an ability that totally escapes me. So back at that time, on my list I have Crash 2009, JPF321, Nicholas Bonham-Carter, Jamie Hall, and of course, Rod.

Then one day, I'm not sure how long ago it was now.... but without warning, the posts from Rod suddenly stopped. No more lines and arrows; no more labels. Gone was access to his knowledge and keen analytical mind. There were a few inquiries whether anyone had heard from him. In December of 2015 I discovered my old reference directory of posters. I fired off an email to his direct email account. A short while later it came back - "user account unavailable".

Rod and I exchanged several emails back in 2011. Here is an excerpt from one.
I know what you mean about the Wall being addictive. Being retired I do have some spare time on my hands but I think at times I spend too much time there also. Having been in the frustrating situation that some of the new people are in and then getting help from the pros on the Wall, I look at the time I spend as sort of pay back for the great help I received.
I got a good laugh a couple of weeks ago when you mentioned your first thoughts on the Equalizer Loop as that too what got me started on steam. No body seemed to be able to get the steam system in my mother's house working properly so I went down into the basement to see if I could figure it out. I started tracing the piping and was perplexed at why there would be a pipe coming off the boiler that then went right back into it. That got me doing research and I very luckily found the Wall and Dan's books.

I think Rod's motivation is the same as that which motivates so many of us!

Just searching a moment ago, using Ancestry.com as well as Google, I found the following obituary. It is under the name of Robert A. Jermain. I am not certain that this is the same person as our friend "Rod", but I would say I am about 90% certain that it is.
(edit 4/19/2018, I have just now found that this is the wrong guy. It is not our Rod Jermain. However, I have found Rod Jermain's obituary. He died about 4 months earlier, in December 1913. The obit will be added to the end of this thread.)

I am also attaching the pdf file of Rod's very helpful overview on the subject of venting.

So, in closing, a BIG Thank You to you, Rod! If you indeed have left us, may you rest in peace. You are indeed missed. ......Oh, And, if there is a heaven, I hope it has Steam Heat!
Dave in Quad Cities, America
Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
http://grandviewdavenport.com
SWEITinmanDouble D

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    Options
    No no no no no!!!!!

I've been trying to contact him for years.
    This is awful. :(
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    I remember those posts well and believe you are correct. It's amazing how giving everyone is here and his posts also helped me understand so much. Coincidentally, it was my equalizer that stymied me for a long while until I stumbled across those exact posts. He is definitely missed. I'm betting heaven has a vaporvacuum system.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Sad to hear that he is gone.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    A very nice tribute in remembrance of him, Dave.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Very touching Dave-- the only suitable heating system for Heaven WOULD be steam heat!--NBC
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options
    Wow.. ..really sorry to hear about Rod.. Wonderful memories.
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
    Dave in QCA
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,294
    Options
    So sorry to hear about Rod. Thanks for sharing, Dave.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    I wondered what happened to Rod....he is missed :'(
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Dave in QCA
    edited April 2018
    Options
    It appears that the link I posted a few years ago is no longer working. Note, it is for a Robert Jermain, but the description is so accurate, that I think it is our Rod.
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    Options
    I could be wrong but I thought Rod lived in Maine?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Dave in QCA
    Options
    Chris,
    As always, you are correct. This is NOT the right person. I did find the correct information. However, the news is still the same, Rod passed away on Dec. 7th, 2013. He was a resident of California, but also had a home in Bath, Maine. I will post more complete and corrected information very soon.

Chris, maybe you could check to see when his last post occurred.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,294
    Options
    Here is Rod's profile page: https://forum.heatinghelp.com/profile/comments/5498479/Rod It looks like his last post was in December 2013. A great loss.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Dave in QCA
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Following up with more intense research, using newspapers.com, ancestry.com, Maine records of property deeds, I think I am able to correct the reporting. Three things are different, his name is Rod, not Robert as I had mistakenly reported. He died Dec 7, 2013, not April of 2014. And, his home was in California with a second home in Bath, Maine, not Massachusetts.

With his last post in December of 2013 and his death on the 7th of that month, we know he was writing in Heatinghelp.com right up to his last living days. His obituary follows:

The Times Record
    Brunswick, ME

2013-12-13 / Obituaries

Roderick Donnell Jermain
    Roderick D. Jermain died at his home in Yorba Linda, Calif., on Dec. 7, 2013. He was born on June 7, 1943, in Prince Rupert, British Columbia, the son of Robert Lloyd V. Jermain and Jane Strong Donnell.
    Raised in Victoria, he graduated from St. George’s School in Vancouver and subsequently enlisted in the U.S. Army. He served three years in the 82nd Airborne Division where he attained the rank of sergeant and received the Combat Infantryman Badge and the American Expeditionary Forces medal.
    After his service he moved to Southern California where he started Alajuela Yacht Corporation. He spent his working life involved in plastic fabrication and tooling from truck camper shells to jet skis. In his free time, he would coach girls and boys soccer and also referee. He greatly enjoyed spending summers at Popham Beach with family and friends.
    He is survived by his wife Joy Norman Jermain; his son John Donnell Jermain and his wife Kristina of Pleasanton, Calif.; his daughter Jill Kathleen Jermain of San Clemente, Calif.; his brother Philip L. Jermain and his uncle, Colonel Joseph J. Rogers, USA (ret.), both of Bath.
    He will be interred at the National Cemetery in Riverside, Calif., with military honors. A memorial service will be scheduled next summer at Popham.

I would also like to show the home in Maine, in which the steam system caused him to learn by necessity. He then used his knowledge to teach. He often apologized to me for the fact that his system "was only a one-pipe setup" and he wished he had a more deluxe system. I told him I was jealous of his system that worked with flawless simplicity.

Rod, My apologies for taking so long to get your story right. I guess it's a little like many of us with our steam systems, 5 years to get it right is sometimes what it takes.

• Fizz
    Fizz Member Posts: 547
    Options
    Not as active as I used to be, but I remember Rod and his very on point comments. Sad to hear of his passing. By the way Dave, haven't seen your posts lately, they too are priceless. Hope all is well.
    Fizz
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    A great man indeed. Thanks, Dave.
    Retired and loving it.
    Dave in QCA
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    Thanks for the homework you did.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.