Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lochinvar Knight KHN

Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
Has anyone installed one of the new KHN's yet (residential fire tube w/ a 10:1 turndown)? Any word of bumping the WHN's to 10:1?

Any feedback?
Steve Minnich

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited January 2016
    Hmmm seems the only definite is the 110 has 10:1 tdr. Don't know about the rest in that lineup.

I dig page 39 of the I/O manual. Calls out min. Flow rates for low, and high fire. Looks like they all can go as low as,1 gpm at low fire except the bigger models in that line. Not as cryptic as the UFT manual about that.

I don't know if it's a medium mass class the HX holds less water than the whn counter parts for fire tube. The 85 holds less than the 55.
  • Tinman
    Thanks Gordy. There is still a "break" between my ISP and lochinvar.com. so it's been tough staying up to date. It's a pain because I'm a Lochinvar dealer and I'm certain the problem is with my ISP.
    Anyway, I appreciate the information. I'll have to do a remote WiFi visit later today.
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    At the library now on Lochinvar's site. The Min/Max Input BTU chart on Page 6 showing all models as 10:1 as far as I can tell.
    Steve Minnich
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited January 2016
    Spec sheet shows 10:1 on 85k and larger models. Minimum firing rate on the KHN055 is 8.3 there. Nice...
    Tinman
  • Gordy
    I kinda breezed through it. Seems the 55 is not.
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    Agreed. I saw that later myself. DHW Recirc. Terminals, 5 year Parts, USB Port, ConXus. I like what I see.
    Steve Minnich
  • Gordy
    Yeah the manual seems well written so far. Wondering if those flow rates on the low end are truly achievable.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,440
    Anyone know if Conxus can be added to existing WHN's?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Tinman
    I'm pretty sure they cannot.
    Steve Minnich
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,786
    I believe the ConXus can be added to some models, maybe Paul Rohrs will check in. I also think the smaller, 55 outputs have 7:1 instead of 10:1 turndowns?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Tinman
    It was my understanding that the FTXL and the new KHN are the only ones that are ConXus compatible but, yes, Paul would be the guy that would know definitively.
    Steve Minnich
  • bmwpowere36m3
    bmwpowere36m3 Member Posts: 512
    edited January 2016
    Someone on the board with an older WHN mentioned inquiring about ConXUs... said it would require a new control board and the ConXUs board (even new ones it's an option). Basically is was $$...

Interested myself as I have a WHN55 that's a few years old. Being able to remotely monitor and adjust boiler would be awesome. Plus I think you can datalog. However if it's over $1k, then likely not too interested.
  • Brewbeer
    Brewbeer Member Posts: 616
    I have a new WHN55 that is conXus ready. I inquired about the conXus board to install myself, but it was as much as new computer.
    Hydronics inspired homeowner with self-designed high efficiency low temperature baseboard system and professionally installed mod-con boiler with indirect DHW. My system design thread: http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/154385
    System Photo: https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/FileUpload/79/451e1f19a1e5b345e0951fbe1ff6ca.jpg
  • bmwpowere36m3
    So about $1-2k for just the ConXUs board?
  • Brewbeer
    It was close to six bills. Too rich for me.
    Hydronics inspired homeowner with self-designed high efficiency low temperature baseboard system and professionally installed mod-con boiler with indirect DHW. My system design thread: http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/154385
    System Photo: https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/FileUpload/79/451e1f19a1e5b345e0951fbe1ff6ca.jpg
  • bmwpowere36m3
    That's not too bad... I wonder what I'd cost me if I need a new control board as well. My supplier has been really good about selling me stuff heavily discounted.
  • bmwpowere36m3
    What kind of computer sells for $600 ;) granted I have a MacBook, but last I looked decent PCs were $1k+
  • Brewbeer
    We regularly replace our office computers for about $600 without monitor.

I'd spend 2 or 3 hundred for this option, but at 6 I can't justify it, so I just go down to the basement and stand in front of the boiler.
  • Heat_n_CT
    Heat_n_CT Member Posts: 64
    Supplyhouse.com has the ConXus board on their site. Not sure what the price of the KHN is, but I wish I waited a year to get my WHN. 10:1, I'm drooling!!
  • Tinman
    edited January 2016
    You have a great boiler in the WHN. The industry is moving forward quickly.
    Steve Minnich
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    My grandson just bought a gaming pc for about $800. Since the Chinese market opened up, they are dirt cheap.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited January 2016
  • Gordy
    If you have the whn 55 not gaining much, and losing the wall hung ability.

At the cost of the conxus im not seeing a lot of gain for the average joe.

The 85 gets you close to the 55 with the low end modulation.

SWEI
  • BigRob
    BigRob Member Posts: 322
    This new series looks great. We have a WHN199 and KBN286- both have been good so far in a challenging application. I like the all fire tube design of this line.
    Tinman
  • Heat_n_CT
    Heat_n_CT Member Posts: 64
    Gordy said:

If you have the whn 55 not gaining much, and losing the wall hung ability.

At the cost of the conxus im not seeing a lot of gain for the average joe.

The 85 gets you close to the 55 with the low end modulation.

Guess that 10:1 math doesn't carry to the 055. Only dropping from ~11 to 8.3. I've got to think if I had ConXus I wouldn't get any cardio going up & down the basement stairs. I do love the WHN, always compared gas bills with my mother, for the last 8-10yrs never been more than $10 apart and now she's about double.