Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Problems with the Nest batteries

2»

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Yep, That's the one
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,122
    Fred said:

Yep, That's the one

Just checked,
    I have 3 Western Electric 500s, two have metal dials one plastic. I used to have a Western Electric 2554 wall hung, black.

All sounded the same, even replaced the carbon buttons.

Perhaps your Princess phone sounds better, I donno. :)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Fred
    Lol
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,094
    In defence of the carbon button (which my family has a close connection with!), may I point out one minor item -- they may not be hi-fi, but they are, quite literally, bullet proof. Short of a direct hit, they will take anything you can do to them and keep squawking.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ

In defence of the carbon button (which my family has a close connection with!), may I point out one minor item -- they may not be hi-fi, but they are, quite literally, bullet proof. Short of a direct hit, they will take anything you can do to them and keep squawking.

Yeah,
    Except for moisture. :)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Fred
    Come on Chris. They worked in payphones, under the harshest conditions for years and years. many times the hand set was left hanging by its cord in the rain/snow and still worked fine.
  • ChrisJ
    Fred said:

Come on Chris. They worked in payphones, under the harshest conditions for years and years. many times the hand set was left hanging by its cord in the rain/snow and still worked fine.

Yes, but moisture is a huge problem with them. That's why they have a protective rubber cover below the grill, but they don't always work.

Now it's true, you can put it in the oven and dry it out, but that's besides the point.
  • MarkS
    MarkS Member Posts: 75

C'mon Jamie, you can't drop a teaser like that and leave us hanging. What's your family's connection to the carbon button?

1890 near-vapor one pipe steam system | Operating pressure: 0.25 oz | 607 sf EDR
    Midco LNB-250 Modulating Gas Burner | EcoSteam ES-50 modulating controls | 70 to 300 MBH |
    3009 sf | 3 floors | 14 radiators | Utica SFE boiler | 4 mains, 135 ft | Gorton & B&J Big Mouth vents
  • ChrisJ
    Jamie,
    Are you related to Thomas Edison?
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Remember we had to pay monthly for those rotary phones? Oh wait...;)
  • Fred
    ChrisJ said:

Jamie,
    Are you related to Thomas Edison?

Jamie Thoimas Edison Hall, Has a nice RING to it!
  • Jamie Hall
    OK, OK -- my great uncle, Shandy Goucher, (Frederick Shand Goucher) invented it. And several other things for Dr. Bell -- they were neighbours, in Nova Scotia.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    MarkSrick in Alaska
  • ChrisJ

OK, OK -- my great uncle, Shandy Goucher, (Frederick Shand Goucher) invented it. And several other things for Dr. Bell -- they were neighbours, in Nova Scotia.

But everything I found said Thomas Edison invented the carbon microphone?
  • Fred
    He said, "invented it for Dr. Bell". You know the guys that get credit for all the inventions aren't actually the brains behind the inventions. They just fund the development and get the credit for them.
  • Jamie Hall
    It's complicated. The very first carbon button microphones were invented by ... maybe Edison, maybe Berliner. Edison was meaner and had better lawyers, and got the patent. The later ones -- the ones used now -- were similar, but the carbon was packed more tightly. They were developed (invented may be too strong a word?) by Bell Labs, back in the days when Bell Labs was the place for invention. That's where Shandy got his patent for them.

It's true they don't work when they're soaked -- but then, neither does much else electrical. But even if they have been soaked, they work when they dry out. They are still used in some applications where you absolutely positively must have a working microphone, come what may.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    ChrisJ
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 532
    ChrisJ said:

Fred said:

They are a bit tinny but the clarity seems so much better than the cell phones. Many cell phones, including the iPhone also sound distant to me.

Are you sure you're talking about old carbon button phones like this?

All modern phones use a condenser mic, and yes they are better then most if not all cellphones.

Fred already answered for himself, but I'll additionally point out that any audio frequency shortfalls attributable to carbon microphones in POTS telephones pale in comparison to the panoply of cell phone "fidelity" artifacts.

From simplex connections (and the cutting in and out that results during conversation) to temporary periods of no audio during cell transitions to highly distorted voices resulting from inability to adequately repair streams that lose significant chunks of data, cell "phones" generally sound horrible. They do much better as portable computers, where one can wait for all the bits to arrive before being reassembled into displays. Check out Consumer Reports tests of these devices. Find any that earn close to the sound quality ratings even a carbon-miked POTS phone ever got, much less those with condenser (capacitor) mikes.

Most users don't know and/or care about sound quality. The younger ones don't even have (or never had) land lines as a frame of reference. I feel much better since I gave up hope. :)