Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil McLain Boiler question

Options
Tony Massi
Tony Massi Member Posts: 86
Has any one had any experience moving a 7 or 8 section WGO boiler.
I have taken Peerless boilers apart to get them on the job.
I was wondering how difficult it is to take apart a Weil McLain ?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Shouldn't be that hard. However, you will need all new gaskets and roping -- it's not reusable -- and the odds are that you will need or at least want new tension rods and nuts.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Done it a few times. No bullhead, or for other reasons. Very easy, just adds about hour or two on the job. You don't need new "O" rings, just mark the sections, and torque to specs
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    get the boiler broken down if it's new.....very simple to put together...
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Weil McClain has indicated to me that o-rings that have been installed and compressed should not be reused if the sections are taken apart.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Tech-rep I called at W/M years back told me no need to replace the "O" rings as I was calling to get some. These boilers were fresh, never filled and fired, with pliable rubber. None have leaked as of yet, and that is going back about 10 years forward with Tankless also. Go figure. I find just as important is the rope gasket between the sections. Re-silicone is a must, and the target wall as well.
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Options
    Easiest boiler to take apart & reassemble imho.
    Inspect the O-rings real good first, before you try to reuse them. Any doubts, replace them.

Robert O'Connor/NJ