Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vaporstat Question

I have a Peerless SC/SVT steam boiler It came factory equipped with a Honeywell PA404A pressuretrol ,indicator on front is set at 1/2 lb. no matter where the differential is set burner won't shut off till Gauge hit 3psi minimum. Boiler is 6 months old, pigtail is clear water level 1/2 way in gauge glass. the PA404 is mounted on a pigtail on top of the MM67
LWCO, some say it should be mounted higher above the water level. Some say install a vaporstat in place of the Pa404. System is 2 pipe . Looking for input

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,756
    Do you have a good low pressure gauge on the boiler or are you seeing 3 PSI on the 0-30 PSI gauge?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    danFromNJ
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    Pressuretrols have zero quality control at the bottom of the scale so they can be wildly inaccurate. Is the inside dial set to 1 or less?

If your going to try and calbrate it I suggest you add a 0-3PSI gauge beside the pressuretrol so you can see what is going on. One of our members came up with a method to calibrate pressuretrols -

http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/149944/i-figured-out-how-to-calibrate-a-pressuretrol

Mounting a pressuretrol higher is good practice but it does nothing for it's accuracy.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,988
    A pressuretrol can be calibrated to turn off at 1.5 and back on a 0.5, but it may take some fussing. Try that first.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • LPGasman
    LPGasman Member Posts: 18
    edited January 2016
    I tried the differential dial in various position with little change. So any opinion as to which vaporstat I would need?
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,756
    What type of gauge are you verifying the pressure with? the 0-30 that came on the boiler or something with a much lower scale like 0-3 or 0-5? This does matter.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Follow the recalibration procedure. It is simple and will take care of the issue. As has been said by KC, you need to have a 0-3 PSI gauge on the boiler for accuracy and for future monitoring of what your system is actually doing and as Jamie said, calibration is a little fussy but not that bad. Just make very minor adjustments using the hex screw.
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,521
    I am with Fred and KC_Jones. Vaporstats aren't cheap and your pressuretrol might be all right. What you need first is an accurate low-pressure gauge. Install, then get back to us.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,787
    When I was using a pressuretrol I was able to get it to operate at a low setting, but of course, not by using the scale. I turned the differential as low it would go. Then I turned the adjustment as low as it would go, right to the point to where the linkage started to get sloppy like it was going to fall apart. I ran the boiler long enough for it to shut off on pressure. Then, it would not restart. I adjusted the pressure just until the boiler restarted, then about a quarter turn more. This seemed to give a good operating point, shutting off at 1.5 psi and back on about .5 psi.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com