Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Gorton # 1 Main Vents Having Problems

Options
I have 4 Gorton # 1 Main Vents installed on an antler for one of my longer mains. Within the past week during each heating cycle they start spitting water and steam and I have to add water to the boiler everyday. I contacted Gorton today concerning this issue and I am waiting for their response. I was talking to Dave0176 last night to setup a possible date & time so that he can examine my entire system and I was telling him about this and he said that he has a few other customers having the same issue with these vents. Now I just purchased these from a local plumbing supply house in October 2015. Is anyone else having these issues with recently purchased Gorton # 1's?
Crown Boiler Bermuda Series model: BSI103, BTU output: 85,000, single pipe steam system

Comments

• Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I use 6 gorton #1's as my main vents and have experienced no issues with them. My vents are 6 years old. They have been making them the same way for probably 80 years. Steam heat is old. What pressure is your boiler running at? High pressure can cause any vent to leak.
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Mark N said:

I use 6 gorton #1's as my main vents and have experienced no issues with them. My vents are 6 years old. They have been making them the same way for probably 80 years. Steam heat is old. What pressure is your boiler running at? High pressure can cause any vent to leak.

Mark I seen it first hand on the last replacement, brand new boiler first fire up 0-3 lb gauge, needle hovering around the 4-5 oz mark,, the No2s were perfect the three No1s I had on a manifold were pissing steam. Replaced them with a No2 and no more problems.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,506
    Options
    I have recently installed 3 No.2s and 1 No.1 that I have been monitoring closely and all are functioning normally. Obviously if steam is escaping the vent, it is defective. But spitting water? I wouldn't think water should be getting to them, and if it did, I can only imagine that it would effect their performance?
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options

Is anyone else having these issues with recently purchased Gorton # 1's?

Yes seen it with #1's and have had #2 stuck shut so they vent nothing and some #2s that don't close fully. This season I've seen more than my fair share. Fortunately my supplier takes them back without any hassle.
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,296
    Options
    I've had issues with both #1 & #2 but mostly on the #1. The issues I've had on the #2 where they would stay stuck and wouldn't open some of them I've been able to fix by opening them up and cleaned the inside which solved the problem
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Dave my pressure never hits 1 oz. But agree they shouldn't leak at 4 or 5 ozs. I wonder how they get stuck shut. The bimetal should contract when it cools. Thats basic physics.
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,296
    Options
    Ive had little burs of metal on where the bimetal contact cause them to stick
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,786
    Options
    Several years ago I bought 4ea G2s. When I took them out of the box and tried to blow through them, three of them were shut tight, and one was normal. The normal one rattled when I shook it and the others did not. I took the constricted ones and banged them real hard on my work bench. That was enough to shake them loose. I don't know why they were stuck, perhaps paint, or wax, or ? After that they all worked fine. Or, I should say, they worked the same as Gorton vents normally work. It took me quite a few months of observations before I realized that other than on a cold start, the Gortons remained closed, or nearly closed, and the venting capacity was near zero. There now setting in a box on the shelf with other junk parts.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • BrianT1077
    BrianT1077 Member Posts: 108
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hello everyone! You all had some interesting input regarding this matter. Gorton has gotten back to me and this was their response:

Brian: They have a warranty up to 2 years. On the back of the current production is an arrow pointing upwards ^. Main vents tend to fail more often than others. Either dirt gets on the seat and they stop closing or they sometimes are not placed high enough from the combustion that takes place on the mains and fail. I just e-mailed Wallington Plbg. the same information. Thanks Ken

I am going to exchange them hopefully Saturday with Wallington Plumbing Supply. Tonight I did take the pressuretrol off and cleaned out the pigtail since I found it was filled with gunk. The problem with the vents is still there however. Although the water level is a little better since I did some more skimming the other night.
    Crown Boiler Bermuda Series model: BSI103, BTU output: 85,000, single pipe steam system
  • BrianT1077
    BrianT1077 Member Posts: 108
    Options
    On Saturday I was able to exchange out all 4 Gorton # 1's for new ones. I installed them and now 1 out of the new 4 still spits steam and water. So I took if off and plugged it for now (They are part of an antler). I am going to contact the plumbing supply house today and let them know what happened. I did a lot more skimming over the weekend and the water in the sight glass is a lot more stable now. Also since the main vent change out I haven't needed to add any make up water.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Good for you! I'm not sure what is going on with the number of Gorton issues we are hearing about over the past couple weeks. So many different installation environments. Hard to tell why so many seem to fail???
  • RomanGK_26986764589
    RomanGK_26986764589 Member Posts: 229
    Options
    Yes, I've posted the same thing on another thread. All of my new gortons including the main vent #1 leak a bit of steam noticeable when holding a mirror next to it.