Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A tough lesson.

Harvey Ramer
Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,261
I went on a call today to help a contractor with a boiler problem that he was struggling with. NTI fire tube only a month old.

Sympton; The HX developed 3 pin hole leaks, fireside, directly underneath the burner.
Cause; The system was leaking like a sieve allowing fresh, hard water to scale the (water side) HX resulting in extreme thermal stress to the (fire side) HX and ultimately pin hole leaks.

Sympton: 3,707 cycles and as many lockouts due to inlet outlet inversion. In a month...
Cause; Boiler setpoint 180° and Indirect setpoint 180°. Commercial - Sanitation

Sympton; When I arrived the HX was replaced but the boiler wouldn't fire.
Cause; Dirty flame sensor rod from incorrect combustion settings.

There's quite a few more but those are the major things and I am tired of typing. This will be a pretty tough lesson for this guy as he will be giving them a new boiler for free unless the manufacturer feels generous.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,440
    Was this a friend? It sounds like he badly needs a hydronic education. Maybe he should let you do the jobs until he becomes better acquainted with mod/cons?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,320
    Yeah that's hard tough lesson to go through
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,261
    He is an acquaintance. His mentor who passed the business on to him, passed away prematurely and left him floundering a bit. I suppose it might be better if he passed over some of the more technical jobs, but I don't have the heart to tell him that. He is a bright kid and willing to learn, goes to trainings and such, but just not there yet.

He will have to sharpen his focus though. Can't have things like this happen and expect to remain afloat.

Some of the problems may have been manifested through the meddling's of the farmer that owns the dairy operation. I don't know this for sure, but I do know they like meddling with stuff.