Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

WM CGa 3 Will not run

Jimbo_5
Jimbo_5 Member Posts: 222
Have a 30 year old CGa 3 that was running yesterday, but will not run today. Pilot is burning nicely, water was low (no LWCO), has a 4 year old 007 on return. Lifted fill valve for not even a minute and reads 18#. When turning main switch off, then on again, I heat nothing, no click or action at all. Any ideas? No breakes tripped, but AC tester is dead.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,092
    No AC at all at the boiler? There doesn't happen to be another switch in the circuit somewhere that's turned off? It has happened... If the breaker is good, and there is no other switch anywhere (there should be, by the way...) you may have to trace out from the breaker to find out where the AC is lost.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Jimbo_5
    Jimbo_5 Member Posts: 222
    Switch on side of boiler, in 1900 box, buty tester died, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to test circit. Just very strange to me.
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Jimbo!
    Take the two wires on the boiler that go to the thermostat off & put them together (these are the TT terminals. put these together). It's only 24volts so don't worry. If it fires, you have a problem with either the wire leading to, or the thermostat itself (possibly batteries are dead). If this doesn't work, and if the boiler has a flue damper, try rotating it manually till it's in the open position. Then, click the manual hold open switch. If you listen close you can hear the damper end switch make. If you pull apart the connector for harness serving the damper, you can by-pass it by jumping the 2 & 5 terminals.
    Jimbo, without a meter, and without seeing it, if this doesn't work then it may be the gas valve.
    Let us know how you make out.

Robert O'Connor/NJ