Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can I install radiant under this wood floor.

Options
2x_Tom
2x_Tom Member Posts: 12
I want to go to all radiant heat in a small cottage I have above my detached garage. Right now it's heated by 2 sunrads and cast iron baseboard mounted 3" off the floor for some reason. I did the heat loss and the radiant should be enough to heat it.
Here's the issue. I discovered that when they built it for some reason they laid 2x3s down on the sub floor. They then put the pine flooring over the 2x3s. So my wood flooring isn't sitting completly flat on the subfloor. I also have a 1.5" air cushion between my floor and subfloor. I'm planning on using the nail up plates from below.
Will that air gap keep me from getting heat? Maybe I could do it and run a little higher then I normally would for wood floors? Is their a risk to the flooring as its supported every 16" as opposed to sitting flat on the sub floor?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    I wouldn't count on that working at all. I would consider panel radiators or radiant ceiling, which if already finished and at a premium for head room might be out.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Gordy
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    What was you heat loss per square foot? How much existing radiation do you have now? Is the garage heated and how much room do you have for downside insulation?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm with @STEVEusaPA over a garage also. Look to other alternatives mentioned. Or keep what you have the radiant will be disappointing.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    I'd fill that floor space with dense-packed cellulose if it were mine.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Extruded plates below the subfloor will NOT WORK or as others have said , it will be disappointing . Radiant walls or ceilings or leave what you have
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833