Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Antifreeze in systems

superdave
superdave Member Posts: 155
HI All,
Hope all of you had a great and safe holiday. I am doing a lot of boiler change outs and have been using Sentinel X400 to clean out old systems and installing X100 when filling up new systems. I have also been using X500 for antifreeze but not all systems I know the total volume. Can anyone recommend a good tester to tell me the % of antifreeze and also the PH in systems.
Also has anyone had problems with this brand Sentinel???

Thanks
David

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Refractometer
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Don't go too cheap on the meter purchase. there are some really cheap glycol testers that I'd avoid.

I use a Misco 7084VP Glycol/ Battery tester

Hanna HI98127 ph meter

HM Digital TDS meter

The ph meter should be checked and re-calibrated yearly

Also test the glycol as it comes out of the bucket. I've heard some brands are testing up to 17% lower protection than the label indicates.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • superdave
    Thanks I was looking at the Extech RF40 anyone have good or bad thing to say about it?? For the PH I was told just go with the strips Macherey Nagel REF. 92110
  • hot_rod
    If you are testing on an ongoing basis and want, or need an accurate number, go with a small PH stick meter. It's tough to get an accurate number with strips, especially so if you are over 50!
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • superdave
    Ok thanks Bob,
    I think I am going with Extech RF40 and PH110 anyone have good or bad things to say about them??

Also Bob are you still with Caleffi If so I have a few questions about them.

Thanks
  • hot_rod
    superdave said:

Ok thanks Bob,
    I think I am going with Extech RF40 and PH110 anyone have good or bad things to say about them??

Also Bob are you still with Caleffi If so I have a few questions about them.

Thanks

That is a well know brand, I think it will serve you well.

i am still with Caleffi, we have a lot of new unique product to show at AHR in January, let me know how I can help.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • superdave
    We have been using a lot of your products for years. But when we go back to some of are existing heating systems the auto fill valve has leaked and discolored. It is not just are systems we have also picked up others system and same spot is leaking.

Is there a torque rating on union nuts