Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for a thermostat with remote control non-wifi

Options
Ant1
Ant1 Member Posts: 6
I'm looking for a thermostat for a detached garage that has a remote so the heat can be controlled from the house. I've been searching around online but can only find find wifi thermostats. Anyone know of anything out there that fits the bill?

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    edited December 2015
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-YTH6320R1122-Wireless-Thermostat/dp/B003CVRBD8/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1450567964&sr=8-15&keywords=honeywell+redlink+thermostat

something like this? Or you want the t-stat in the garage and able to change it from a different location?
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Options
    The new 8000 series Honeywell can use a wireless remote sensor . I do not know the specifics on the range.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,629
    Options
    The Honeywell 8000, a wireless remote sensor, and an EIM will allow you to control a remote system, sensing remotely. It communicates over RedLINK. There is also a remote control that operates with the system as well.

Information on the range of the RedLINK radios is a little sketchy. It seems to be based on what they claim is a high power 900 MHz custom radio.

• haunt
    haunt Member Posts: 14
    Options
    You may be looking for something like this?
    http://www.amazon.com/Lux-TX9000RF-Programmable-Thermostat-Remote/dp/B000COHC3M?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore. This works on radio frequency so it doesn't need to be in line-of-sight to work. I don't know what kind of distance it will work at. If this is what you are looking for let me know. I may have a brand new one in new old stock.
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Options
    I bought a Redlink stat kit when they first came out . We tested it in a school with masonry walls throughout and it never missed a beat. I have not done much with any of it since.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options
    Can you run wires between the garage and the house? Is the mechanical room in the house or the garage?

if the system is in the house, you can use a tekmar 519 with the floor sensor. However, you can use the floor sensor as an air sensor and at the display, turn off the air sensor.

You are going to need 4 wires run from the house to the garage.

Dave H
    Dave H
  • murry0529
    murry0529 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Honeywell use to make a thermostat with a "personal comfort control", basically a remote. I used to have one in my old house. I would have the personal comfort control in the master bedroom (lower level) and the main thermostat on the upper level of the home. Temperature could be changed via the comfort control, system turned on/off and you could also tell the heating system to read temperature from either the thermostat or the comfort control. I believe they still make this product. It may be a good fit for you if all you want to do is read and change the temperature from the thermostat mounted in the garage. You wouldn't want to ever have it read temperature from the remote, especially if it is in a different building. I am not sure of the range it covers though. You would want to check this out before purchase. Jason
  • murry0529
    murry0529 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    I believe this is the current model: Honeywell # YTHX9321R5061. Comes with the thermostat, wireless outdoor sensor and comfort control.