Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Whistling radiator vents with Vaporstat

Options
2»

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    The DGO-4 is rated at 144,000 BTU from what I could find online, it sounds like you are overfired by 17%. What size orifice os on the EZ-Gas and what is the gas pressure.

If you have the orifice tube replaced and redrilled make sure it gets setup with a combustion analyzer.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • BobC
    Options
    I just double checked and the Carlin brochure above might be wrong, this is from the Carlin install manual. In any case consult the install manual that came with your EZ-Gas before doing anything.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    BobC said:

The DGO-4 is rated at 144,000 BTU from what I could find online, it sounds like you are overfired by 17%. What size orifice os on the EZ-Gas and what is the gas pressure.

If you have the orifice tube replaced and redrilled make sure it gets setup with a combustion analyzer.

Bob

Bob, Thanks to the confusing system of boiler ratings and the fact the WM only gives the input in GPH.... The 144,000 is actually the DOE rating aka Gross Output. The input is 1.2 GPH x 140,000 BTU/Gallon=168,000BTU/HR.

I notice in the water version of this boiler, that it is offered with a reduced firing capacity to gain extra efficiency. This size in the reduced capacity fires at 1 gph or 140,000 btu/hr. Given the general cooler conditions in a water boiler, one would assume that condensation would NOT be a problem in an SGO-4 turned down to 140,000.

In addition, I can verify that I have a WM-680, which is just a larger version of the wet base SGO series, and it is rated at 787,000 BTU input, and at a reduced firing rate as low as 375,000, there is NO condensation problem and no apparent loss in efficiency.

But, before you turn down the boiler, how about verifying your radiator EDR load. Also, adjustement of your burner should be done by a qualified burner man, as air will also need to be adjusted.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Gee who could you call?
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    Dave in QCAZman
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options

Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
    Charlie from wmass
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    I was asked by a young boy who saw my truck if I removed ghosts from homes. I looked him in the eye and said yes, yes I do. Lol
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • BobC
    Options
    If you can get Charlie on board you will be in great shape.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • Steve Garson_2
    Steve Garson_2 Member Posts: 712
    Options
    Charlie, drop me an email. Seems too small a job for the trip. Perhaps not.
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • Steve Garson_2
    Steve Garson_2 Member Posts: 712
    Options
    Mission accomplished, Charlie Garrity worked on my boiler this past weekend and reduced the firing rate. Silence at last!

Thanks Charlie!
    Steve from Denver, CO
    ChrisJ