Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking to replace Air Vents on Single Pipe Steam Radiators

Options
I am going to be having my boiler replaced this weekend and I thought it may be a good time to purchase new air vents as well. currently have Hoffman 1a adjustable air vents on the majority of my radiators and I think it may be a good time to replace them since they appear to be pretty old and could use an update. Would you recommend staying with this type of vent or someone else recommended Gorton vents instead.

Also, I was wondering if I should replace the vent on the longest steam main coming from the header? (picture attached)

Thanks

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,335
    Options
    That "boiler pipe" main vent is almost surely woefully undersized for it's job, and yes, it probably should be replaced. If it is representative, there may be other vents on steam mains which should be replaced -- or added, if they aren't there.

As to replacing the vents on the radiators... why? I wouldn't bother, unless you can't adjust them enough to get the radiators to heat uniformly (after you've done the main vents!) or they are known to be defective.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    I doubt that's the original main vent location. Follow the main to the end where it drops into the return. That looks like something someone added after the deadmen were gone.
  • erobinson85
    erobinson85 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    That is the only vent on the mains and it is right near the return (if you look in the picture to the right you can see it slope down). The other main is not nearly as long and only has one radiator connected to it on the second floor. Does another vent need to be added to that main as well?

The reason I was going to replace the radiator air vents is because a few of them seem a little noisier than they should and I figured it was not a bad time to replace if needed.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Check on and improve the main venting first as noisy vents may be a sign of inadequate main venting, or over pressure.--NBC