Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any reason NOT to drop one pipe size coming out of Burnham boiler?

Lordniacin
Lordniacin Member Posts: 13
Looking at piping a Burnham 204, about 80K output.

The pipe connections that come out are 1-1/4". If I pipe around the boiler at this diameter, at my expected boiler flow rate of 8GPM that is a water speed of only 2fps, at the very bottom of the recommended range. If instead I pipe around the boiler with 1" pipe, the water speed becomes 3.2fps, right near the middle of the range.

So, is there any reason I should not come out of the boiler at 1-1/4", immediately go through a reducing fitting down to 1", and continue my near-boiler piping using 1" pipe?

Sorry for the newbie question!

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Technically 1" pipe only delivers 72K at recommended flow rates. So your screwing yourself out of 8K
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,768
    You will also increase piping heat loss unless you insulate . Short Fat headers are recommended for a reason .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    Gordy
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609

Looking at piping a Burnham 204, about 80K output.

The pipe connections that come out are 1-1/4". If I pipe around the boiler at this diameter, at my expected boiler flow rate of 8GPM that is a water speed of only 2fps, at the very bottom of the recommended range. If instead I pipe around the boiler with 1" pipe, the water speed becomes 3.2fps, right near the middle of the range.

So, is there any reason I should not come out of the boiler at 1-1/4", immediately go through a reducing fitting down to 1", and continue my near-boiler piping using 1" pipe?

Sorry for the newbie question!

If you are building a header, I agree that 1 1/4" is a better plan. If you are just talking about piping to move some BTU's around, 1" will work perfectly.
    The sections with the tappings are used for boiler sizes up to 212k input. Sizing down on your boiler should work just fine.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Tinman
  • Lordniacin
    Lordniacin Member Posts: 13
    Yes Zman that is exactly right. I am just talking about using 1" in the part between the boiler and the header, which will be bigger.
    Just trying to pick the pipe sizes to keep my flow speeds between 2 and 4fps according to the GPMs in the various parts of the system.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    8 GPM would be 3.2 ft per sec in 1" pipe as you correctly calculated. A conservative design would limit you to 4ft/sec.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein