Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pilot pull off pilot orifice

Options
Psimm38499
Psimm38499 Member Posts: 3
Have a brand new ventless, radiant, space heater. It works fine for a while then the pilot starts to pull away from the pilot orifice and it makes a sound like wind blowing. Have checked the system pressure which is right on. Have turned off all fans etc to eliminate a draft and it makes no difference. Could it be a pressure problem that doesn't show up at other points in the system? Or possibly an air adjustment for the pilot?

Comments

• WigglyWalker
    WigglyWalker Member Posts: 28
    edited December 2015
    Options
    what brand heater? and what size tank is it connected to? also is it the right gas, Natural/Propane?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Non vented space heaters have some provision to snuff out the pilot when there is a lowered oxygen level to prevent you from going into the long sleep. My guess is that most heating people here (me included) have seen a lot of things and maybe avoid touching any non vented gas burning space heaters, (fireplaces etc). IMHO

Try to run this with a window open with fresh air coming into the room and see if it straightens out. Let us know what happens please.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Your oxygen depletion safety device is doing its job. If the O2 level drops below 18% the pilot will react and pull away from the quick drop out thermocouple and the system will drop out on safety.

As was suggested try opening a window near the heater to supply more O2.

Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? If not I suggest you get one and install it about 25 feet away from the unit for safety purposes.

Have a gas technician check your gas pressure to the unit. In addition if it is new it is in warranty so have the installer or sales person who sold it to you have it looked at.
  • Psimm38499
    Options
    Thank you for your prompt responses. I just checked the heater and it was out. So I relit it and set everything the way we normally run it. The pilot did not lift off the orifice. I then turned on everything in the house that runs off propane to check for a starvation problem. Everything operated properly including the new heater. I do have CO detectors in every room of the house. I also checked the line pressure when the unit was installed and it checked out at 10" wc. Will check it again in a while to see if it started pulling off again. The room that the unit is in is a converted garage that hasn't yet been fully insulated so unless it's a faulty ODS I don't see it being a problem. I will continue to observe the heater and let you know what happens.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Is this a temp construction heater or will it be the permanent heat source for the room? As you finish the room and have less outside air infiltration the problem will worsen. IMO
  • Psimm38499
    Options
    After my last post I removed the cover from the heater and relit it. I put it on high for 45 mins. as that is how long it took to jump start the pilot problem. When it was burning as it should I then turned it to low and left if until about 8 pm. It was still working as it should so I raised it to med and left it and at 11 pm it is still working fine. I will do some more testing tomorrow but as of right now it seems that the problem has to do with the ODS but only when the cover is on the heater. Will let you know what I discover tomorrow after further testing.