Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 stage

Paul S_3
Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
Hey everyone. ...I just got a job to refit a terribly piped steam boiler. I guess by luck the original installer just slightly oversized the boiler just by 40 EDR. It is one pipe steam gravity wet return.i will be piping a 4 inch drop header... Boiler is a williamson gwa175... I personally like these boilers if installed correctly. Boiler is piped with (1) 2" supply....I will be improving the main venting, risers & radiators per steve's & gerry gills capacity chart as I always do....I will also be adding a vaporstat....I mentioned to the customer about the benefits of using a 2 stage gas valve and they approved that too....I have never used a 2 stage valve for steam, which valves do you guys use? How do you guys wire this setup? Any help greatly appreciated thank you Paul S
ASM Mechanical Company
Located in Staten Island NY
Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
347-692-4777
ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
ASMHVACNYC.COM
https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,988
    One way to do it is to use two vapourstats. High fire to start, then go to low fire at some handy pressure -- say half a pound or so -- with whatever cutoff seems to work. Have the high fire set to cut back in at perhaps 4 ounces... and low fire to cut back in at somewhere between that and the high fire cutoff.

But i've not tried it, so that may not work at all!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Paul S_3
    Can I use just one like this? It looks it will work thanks Paul S
    ASM Mechanical Company
    347-692-4777
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,004
    Can you post the M/N and mfg. of that valve??
  • Paul S_3
    I don't have a model number that's why I am asking what valve does everyone use when they use a 2 stage gas valve on a steam boiler paul s
    ASM Mechanical Company
    347-692-4777
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,756
    edited December 2015
    I don't have all the experience in the world, but I put one on mine and it doesn't trigger. I have it set up to run on pressure from a vaporstat, the problem? I can't make any pressure to trip into low fire. Just one persons experience, but you could put in a provision for the control now and add it later if it is needed. If the boiler is matched well and you have good venting you might not make any meaningful pressure. I think I have made it to 1.5 ounces on a couple longer runs, but that's it. Just throwing it out there.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,308
    Ive been using the Robertshaw 700-053 2 stage gas valve it works great and I use 2 vaporstats to trigger the high and low fire
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    I wonder (for those that dont create enough pressure) if you could use an aquastat on the return. Once it see's a certain temperature it kicks the system to low fire..
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Robertshaw 700-053 for up to 300K and 700-062 for up to 700K. Wire everything exactly as normal, but split the MV control leg going to the GCV into two wires. One goes to the GCV, and the other goes through the Vaporstat and low-fire solenoid valve. You can get away with using the factory pressuretrol as the main cut-off.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    I use honeywell v4944 with a vaporstat to control hi/lo fire. Original pressuretrolls are left on boiler as safeties.
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Could a two-stage Tstat be used on systems that don't build enough pressure to trip the Vstats?
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    vaporvac said:

Could a two-stage Tstat be used on systems that don't build enough pressure to trip the Vstats?

Don't think so. If you don't build enough pressure to trip a vaporstat you could setup a magnehelic like @ChrisJ or use an aquastat on a return line.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,099
    edited December 2015

vaporvac said:

Don't think so. If you don't build enough pressure to trip a vaporstat you could setup a magnehelic like @ChrisJ or use an aquastat on a return line.
    I think you may be thinking of my Photohelic idea.
    The Magnehelic I'm using just shows pressure. The Photohelic is a magnehlic based pressure switch. By no means cheap, but by all means awesome.

They go as low as 0-0.5" w.c. and since they are a differential setup, I see no reason why you can't use one to measure vacuum as well.

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Pressure/DifferentialPressure/Gage-Switches-Dial/Series3000MR-3000MRS

I've never used one but it sure got my attention when I came across it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ
    Ah,
    I have a 1823-2 on my system set to trip @ 1 ounce.

But, they are just boring switches, not nearly as cool as a Photohelic.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    SWEI
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,183
    Forced air furnaces that I see that are 2 stage, the initial ignition is at high fire and after 30 seconds or so it will drop to low fire.
    I'm assuming the first start at high fire is to establish draft by warming the HEX & flue. (Even though there is a draft inducer fan using PVC venting.)

Could steam boilers light off correctly and establish enough initial draft if they only cold start on low fire?
  • ChrisJ
    edited December 2015
    JUGHNE said:

Forced air furnaces that I see that are 2 stage, the initial ignition is at high fire and after 30 seconds or so it will drop to low fire.
    I'm assuming the first start at high fire is to establish draft by warming the HEX & flue. (Even though there is a draft inducer fan using PVC venting.)

Could steam boilers light off correctly and establish enough initial draft if they only cold start on low fire?

That depends on a bunch of different things, no?
    My 30 foot 6" B vent seems to draft real well even when it's warm outside. I assume an oversized masonry chimney on the outside of a home would be a nightmare.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,183
    The reason for inquiring is that some gas trains (mostly larger) incorporate an additional low gas pressure safety switch to lock out ignition because some burners may have partial or delayed ignition a result.