Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator Capacity

Good morning,
Can anyone tell me the heating capacity of this radiator? It's a single pipe steam system and I'm considering using it to heat a 21FT x 13FT room. Thanks in advance.
Best,
Bob

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    What's the height?
  • ishmael1980
    ishmael1980 Member Posts: 13
    Good question Paul. I'll get the dimensions tonight. Thanks!
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    You need to do a heat loss calculation for the room. Otherwise you won't know if it will heat the room properly.
  • ishmael1980
    Thanks Paul. We're replacing the heating system and I know the plumber did the heat loss assessment for the entire house to size the boiler.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948

Thanks Paul. We're replacing the heating system and I know the plumber did the heat loss assessment for the entire house to size the boiler.

That's good to know, but @Paul48 meant that you need a specific heat loss calculation for the individual room you want to use that radiator in.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,988

I hope you mean the plumber added up the EDR of all the radiators in the house, and not the heat loss for the house. If this is steam, as you say it is, the ONLY way you can properly size the boiler is to the radiation.

Please please tell me that's what he did...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    vaporvacvr608
  • hboogz
    hboogz Member Posts: 113
    That's cool looking radiator IMO!
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948

I hope you mean the plumber added up the EDR of all the radiators in the house, and not the heat loss for the house. If this is steam, as you say it is, the ONLY way you can properly size the boiler is to the radiation.

Please please tell me that's what he did...
    Well... he said "plumber" instead of "steam man" so.....

/me hides from all the plumbers on the board....
    vr608
  • ishmael1980
    Thank you for the responses.

Jamie, the plumber doing the install was measuring and counting the sections of all the radiators but I thought that was for a heat loss calculation - I stand corrected on that. Thank you for enlightening me.

The radiator pictured above is 13" Tall x 12" Deep and 28" Wide. Can someone advise how I determine if the radiator is appropriately sized for my 21ft x 13ft kitchen?

Thanks again,
    Bob
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    If my tables are right that radiator has an EDR of about 33 so it can put out about 8,000 BTU with steam. If your heat loss is that low it will work if the heat loss is higher you will be cold.

Do a heat loss on that room before committing to that radiator.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ishmael1980
    Thank you Bob. Can you direct me to a reference on how to do a heat loss calculation?
  • vr608
    vr608 Member Posts: 144
    Some of us have had good success using the Slantfin app:

http://www.slantfin.com/index.php/professionals/heatloss
    Peerless 63-03, 118,000 BTU (308 sqft), single-pipe steam system connected to 286 EDR of radiation, 30ft of baseboard and indirect DHW
    3PSI gauge
  • ishmael1980
    Great. Thank you!