Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing Pressuretrol and Pressure Gauge

Options
2»

Comments

• jtonzola
    jtonzola Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Bob, Thanks. Isn't the bottom vent too low though? And why dial down the vent? Also I do have some others, gorton 4 and 5 available. Would one of these be better?
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    jtonzola said:

Bob, Thanks. Isn't the bottom vent too low though? And why dial down the vent? Also I do have some others, gorton 4 and 5 available. Would one of these be better?

No.. the lower one is for a steam vent. The upper one is for a vent to bleed air out of the radiator for a hot water system.

I'd start with the 4 then go to a 5 is you need to.
    jbmoff
  • jtonzola
    Options
    Thanks
  • jtonzola
    Options
    Okay, I know I said I thought the system was cutting out at 1.5 psi however I just realized that it is not cutting out. I have the pressuretrol dialed as low as it will go and the low pressure guage was reading 3psi and the boiler was still burning. This happens when I have to raise the thermometer by 3 or more degrees rather than the system just kicking on when it slips below the desired temp.
    I know my pressuretrol is very old. Should I replace the pressuretrol with a new pressuretrol or a vaporstat of just add the vaporstat? Shouldn't the system cut out when the pressure hits a certain psi and am I correct in assuming that the current pressuretrol is not working because the system is not cutting out?
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    The pigtail under the pressuretrol might be blocked, remove it and clean out the pigtail. Also mage sure the tiny hole at the base of the pressuretrol brass base is clear.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • jtonzola
    Options
    I replaced the pigtail with a new one. Under the pigtail is the low water cut off bulb which may need to be cleaned out. So it may not be the actual pressuretrol? I do notice that when I mistakenly unscrewed the screw on the pressuretrol too much where the spring popped out the system did shut so maybe the pressuretrol is working.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    The LWCO should be cleaned every year, they accumulate crud over time.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • jtonzola
    Options
    Bob and Abracadabra thanks for your help with the radiator that was not heating all the way through. I closed the top hole and put a gorton 6 on the lower one. It is heating evenly all the way through to end. Good for now. Thanks again.
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,518
    Options
    jtonzola said:

With this one it originally had a hole for a vent up at the top left, which I believe is too high.

Something to think about that this radiator's venting does not match your others. Could this radiator have been an add on or a replacement? In this event one would want to scrutinize the installation as far as pitch, pipe, valve size, take-off, etc. You'd want to rule out an improper installation as the cause. If the installation is fine remove the top vent per Bob. The location of the lower one is low enough. It wouldn't be worth it to drill and tap another opening even lower, IMO.

It is normal that your radiator would heat across the top first (steam is lighter than air), and in theory should only heat all the way across on the coldest days of the year if all is in balance.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • jtonzola
    Options
    Thanks RI SteamWorks. Yes I think you are correct that this radiator was installed later. I am in process of calculating total EDR so I can see how the boiler is sized for the current situation.
  • jtonzola
    Options
    Hello BobC. I just posted a new discussion Water level continuing to increase. Can you check it out when you get a minute? Thanks!