Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I just marvel

at the old boilers I see. This ARCO boiler on a gravity system has been working since 1910. The pulleys, ropes and coal chute are still there from when it ran on solid fuel. Terribly inefficient, but it heated the house just fine.
My friend, Moe Hirsch in NY told me about the Vitocrossal CU3A that carries a larger water volume where you don't have to install a low-loss header or closely spaced tees to keep the HX happy. Is this a trend to the past when higher volume boilers are more forgiving and may even last longer?
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• Shahrdad
    Shahrdad Member Posts: 120
    Did you ever install the Vitocrossal 300 CU3A? I'm considering that for my 1897 house with an original gravity system.
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 892
    This Ideal Arco Round boiler is in my book, "The Ideal Fitter" from the American Radiator company, and came in sizes from350 to 1700 sq ft of steam or 600 to2825 sq ft water capacity. I hope you do not need any parts for these because they are out of stock at the present time.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I think in Europe they tend to use boilers with more water content.
    steve
  • Did you ever install the Vitocrossal 300 CU3A?
    I used one on another job; great boiler. Perfect for an old radiator system.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab