Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for highest efficiency

Options
lisainOH
lisainOH Member Posts: 4
We are a small non profit building a small animal shelter to provide care of pets while their senior citizen owners are hospitalized. We have build a 30x32 Pole Barn Building with 10ft ceilings. It has R19 insulation on the walls and will have R49 in the ceiling. Concrete floors, We are trying to determine the most cost effective and efficient heating system for the building. We will be using propane as the cost for electric here is astronomical. We are in central Ohio Zone 5. We were originally planning to get a hanging separate combustion heater 60 - 80 BTU, but looking at furnaces in the same BTU range, the pricing isn't that much more for the unit, though there will be additional cost for ducting etc. Will the propane usage be about the same either way we go? Any idea of how much propane we can expect to use, we would like to keep the building at 65 degrees all winter.
Thanks for any help you may be able to provide

Comments

• Brewbeer
    Brewbeer Member Posts: 616
    Options
    Radiant concrete floor slab would be a good choice for efficiency.
    Hydronics inspired homeowner with self-designed high efficiency low temperature baseboard system and professionally installed mod-con boiler with indirect DHW. My system design thread: http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/154385
    System Photo: https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/FileUpload/79/451e1f19a1e5b345e0951fbe1ff6ca.jpg
    kcopp
  • lisainOH
    Options
    Brewbeer said:

Radiant concrete floor slab would be a good choice for efficiency.

Unfortunately the floor has already been poured so that option is out
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    I take it that you have already built the building? Because if not I would seriously consider a hydronic radiant floor design, with a heavily insulated slab and the coils in the floor.

However... your post strongly implies that the building is already up.

Have you maximized your potential solar gain? You should explore that; it might be possible to sharply increase that, even with the building up.

OK. That's all said. Now to the the simpler question you asked. The single (or perhaps two) hanging propane combustion heaters are probably the least expensive option. The efficiency of those heaters is very good -- not, perhaps, quite as high as the very best propane fired hot air furnaces, but very good nonetheless. I have seen them in use in a number of agricultural settings -- calf barns, greenhouses, chicken barns -- and they work well. The advantage of the furnace, as you know, is that one can arrange the ducting to easily supply more heat to specific areas (such as, perhaps, an area for ailing pets). There is, however, the expense of the ducting...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • lisainOH
    Options

The single (or perhaps two) hanging propane combustion heaters are probably the least expensive option. The efficiency of those heaters is very good -- not, perhaps, quite as high as the very best propane fired hot air furnaces, but very good nonetheless. I have seen them in use in a number of agricultural settings -- calf barns, greenhouses, chicken barns -- and they work well.

Thank you, yes the building is already up and I just wanted to be sure there wasn't a HUGE difference of efficiency between the two options

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Over heat radiant like the Corayvac might be the easiest to retro fit. It's nice to be able to dry the floors quickly in applications like that, where they are hosed down daily.

I prefer radiant to blower type heat, quiet, clean and comfortable. Warm air tends to go to the ceiling quickly from unit heaters, the kennel needs warmth down on the slab.

Over head radiant might be an option worth exploring. Sometimes you can find a local plumber or HVAC contractor to donate labor. I help keep the local shelter radiant running, and a local manufacturer donated the original radiant floor system.

http://www.corayvac.com
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    SWEI
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    I'd be looking at overhead radiant as well for that application.

Don't forget that anything with a blower is going to load up with pet hair and dander.
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Go with SWEI and Hot Rod -- they have a lot more experience than I do!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • lisainOH
    Options
    Thank you, will definitely check into the radiant heat, especially in the kennel area
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Hanging radiant heaters would be my call also. However there are clearances above the floor and above the heater to consider. Your 10' ceiling may be a limiting factor.
    There may be low intensity units Longer and not as hot.

Also think of it like sitting in the sun, if your in the shade you feel colder. Open top kennels would probably be necessary.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Another thing we learned with radiant slabs in kennels is you had to leave a portion of the cage area without tube as the dogs need to be able to regulate their body temperature by moving off the heated floor. They need a cool spot on the floor, or a platform to get above the warm slab.

Also the overhead radiant will start and stop much quicker than a concrete slab, which is helpful in many areas as the weather changes quickly. Maybe contact the local rep for some suggestions on overhead radiant.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Thinking about it some more... I suspect that overhead radiant has some real advantages.

But. On observing my cats, happily asleep on the floor just above the big boiler in the basement (the warmest spot in the house at their level!), I have kind of a feeling that you may want to make some provision for heat in the floors, or parts of the floors, at least in spaces where cats might be. Dogs seem to manage on warm beds. Cats, not so much. Also consider birds, if you are going to have any. Some of them are rather sensitive to air temperature...
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Also don't forget, your installer has as much if not more effect on your efficiency than anything....
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Rinnai Energysaver. Simple install. Highly reliable. Auto restart after power outage. Programmable stat built in. 2 5/8" hole thorough the wall for the vent system. Sealed combustion, modulating gas valve and blower. Quiet and cool to the touch.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Welcome back Jack
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Thanks Johnny!