Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weather in chicago?

Harvey Ramer
Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,261
I-90 headed east from idaho. Just crossed into Wisconsin. Wondering what I'm in for when I hit the Chicago area?

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,583
    Safe travels, Harvey:

Moderate to occasionally heavy snow gradually ending this from west to east this afternoon.

Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 3 PM CST this afternoon.

Timing: snow will continue through mid to late this afternoon. The snow will be heavy at times through mid afternoon.
    Snowfall rates, in excess of an inch per hour in some locations.
    Additional snow accumulation this afternoon, one and a half to three inches.

Impacts: difficult driving conditions and very sharply reduced visibility, including near zero at times in the heaviest snow.
    Other impacts: increasing wind gusts to 35 mph combined with the heavy weight of the snow may cause downed branches and power lines.

This has been a very heavy wet snow and can be difficult to shovel especially those with health concerns. With it being the first snow event of the year, use caution if you must shovel.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Snow, I live east of Rockford I got 14" starting to get windy 20-30 mph. Going down to 5* tonight. Still snowing a bit.
  • Gordy
    The tollway authorities moto is dry pavement though.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Thanks Dan!
    That helps.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Thanks Gordy. I should hit Chicago around 6 pm.
  • Gordy
    Just watch out for the first snow of the year drivers Harvey. You know how that is. Need an extra set of eyes for the rear view mirrors.
  • Harvey Ramer
    I know. I got caught up in this same storm in eastern SD last night. So a lot of wrecks. Some of the very same people who went flying past me a little earlier.
    Gordy
  • Gordy
    Yeah, the draw back to traction. Everyone thinks they can stop because they can get going easy with SUVs, and 4wd. An old farmer I knew used to say a 4wd just gets you a little farther from home before you get stuck.
    4JohnpipeZman
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I just got home. Its getting cold here. Roads are much better than they were 3 hours ago. Safe travels.
    Steve Minnich
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,583
    Thanks, guys, for reminding me why I'm retiring. ;)
    Retired and loving it.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    You ain't kidding, I am planning on sitting by the widow in the first snowstorm and turn up the heat...watch the traffic reports and read....
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801

j a said:

You ain't kidding, I am planning on sitting by the widow in the first snowstorm and turn up the heat...watch the traffic reports and read....

No you're not. Your going to go out in the snowstorm and put in a new steam system for some poor soul that has cracked CI casting because he added cold water to it.
    Funny funny u...have a good thanksgiving...can't wait for the first storm...I'll be in Charlotte