Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Crud in Lennox Pulse condensate trap

Alan Muller
Alan Muller Member Posts: 31
Where does this come from? I've not seen this amount of crud in the condensate trap of any other condensing appliance. Is it corrosion products from the inside of the heat exchangers? Or.....?

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    When was the last time it was cleaned? Some pictures of what you found would help.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Mod and Ser# if you can find it.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Make sure the furnace is pressure tested every four years, per Lennox. We had a pulse recently all gooped up in the drain. Ran a pressure test and it failed
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    I have all the manuals and training material on Lennox Pulse Combustion. I will take a look at it tomorrow.
  • Alan Muller
    Alan Muller Member Posts: 31
    Model G21Q3-80-1
    S/N 5892B00853 (1992, as I read it)
    The unit seems to run fine but with a slight stutter. I haven't yet pressure tested it, or checked the gas pressures. This thing is a garage heater without much ductwork and I notice the exit pipe from the finned combustion chamber runs at a dull red heat. Is this normal? Hard to believe that a plastic evap coil tray could live just above that without melting. I couldn't get a good pic of the sludge in the trap but it looks to me like iron rust. An interesting furnace design.