Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler stopped working after inspection - Code E 4 - Challenger

Options
seekinghelp
seekinghelp Member Posts: 3
edited November 2015 in Gas Heating
I just had my boiler inspected today for an oil to gas conversion. RIght after the inspector left coincidently, the boiler stopped working - no hot water or heat. Error code is E 4. Is there something in the inspection that the inspector may have forgotten to turn back on ? The code lists the errors below. A gas pressure test was run so I'm also wondering if the plumber forgot to turn something on. The gas stove is running. The plumber who covered the inspection didn't do the install and wasn't too helpful when I called. This has been running for over a year and it's really odd that the first time it shows an error is the day the inspection took place.

Any help would be appreciated before I spend money for a service call.

Manual gas shut off valve closed
Remove air from gas pipe
Gas supply pressure too low or failing
Gas valve or ignition unit not powered
Incorrect ignition gap
Check adjustment of gas valve

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    This is what the service manual say about an E-4 code on a triangle tube boiler with mcba 5 controller.

Try pushing the reset button.

This error will occur if power to the boiler is lost after a lockout has occurred.
    The boiler must be manually reset and the original lockout code will be lost.
    • This error will also occur if the service technician tries to reset a hard
    lockout by turning the boiler OFF and then ON as an attempt to reset
    the boiler.
    • Verify polarity and proper ground on incoming 120V power connections
    • This error may occur in rare cases if there is power interruption, surge
    or “Dirty” voltage. An uninterruptible
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • seekinghelp
    Options
    My bad. I have a model by the company triangle tube model called challenger. I didn't realize they had more than one boiler name.

The e 4 for challenger are the gas issues I listed not power. Could the gas test done for inspection have killed the boiler?
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    If they left the shut off closed on the gas supply line at the boiler this could be your issue...a picture may help..
    kcoppwcs5050
  • seekinghelp
    Options
    Thanks so much for the help . The gas valve was shut. I can't believe I had to argue with the plumber to convince him he forgot to turn it on.Thanks for the help. Since he wasn't willing to come back and check, I would have been confused and cold all weekend.