Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Monoflo System

Options
TinkerBell
TinkerBell Member Posts: 4
About five years ago I added two new cast iron radiators to an existing monoflo system. The radiators are below the main piping. I did use the proper monoflo fittings as the system worked properly upon start up. The customer was not using the basement with the two added radiators. Simply shut off the valves to the radiators. This year he opened the valves and the two radiators would not heat. The rest of the radiators in the house are heating. I replaced the shut off valves to be sure they were not the issue. I even visually looked into the monoflo Ts and could not see any debris etc. When I opened the bleeders I did get water and no air. Lastly the feed valve did overfeed and caused the system pressure to exceed 30PSI. Replaced the feeder and bled air tank system pressure is now 20PSI when heating at 160 degrees. Looking for some Help!!

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Did you use two monoflo Tees on each rad and were they spaced farther apart than the width of the rad?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • TinkerBell
    Options
    Both radiators have two Tees.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Which way are they facing? Below the system requires different positioning
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Was the circulator replaced by someone and is it able to overcome the added resistance, of the newer monoflow fittings
  • TinkerBell
    Options
    The circulator is the same as when I originally installed the two new radiators with the two monoflo fittings on each. Remember that the system does have separate supply and return pipes. So it is not your typical monoflo system. My customer says that he believes that they did heat after the initial installation. So I'm assuming that the B&G 100 series that was on the system before the additional radiators could overcome the resistance increase. The fittings are installed per the installation instructions(looking at the pipes) the red rings facing the left on the supply and facing the right on the return pipe) and are basically the same width as the radiators for installation off of the respective pipes and allow the room needed to enter the radiators inlet and outlet connections.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,539
    Options
    Pictures will help