Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I have to share this pro press and steam.

2»

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,764
    Kids these days....lol
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    you know I am older and still good at hijacking a thread.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • The manufacturers of propress have experience with process steam for their joints-a different situation, I am sure from our on again-off again heating applications.
    I just took a hose end cap off a small 1inch ball valve drain on the base of my boiler to blow that end down. The hose gasket had completely disintegrated. I hope the propress gaskets fare better!
    Copper might be suitable for just the header in a drop header, if the riser piping isolates the thermal movement from the boiler sections.--NBC
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Chris we do still wipe a joint in NYC on a new apt or so.We take all old waste lines out etc and go back to stack.We then caulk in our first piece and go to cast iron from there.Seldom we get to wipe but actually on test on Long Island where you had to lead onto brass .Pretty neat and def gives respect to the old timers.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,122
    edited November 2015

The manufacturers of propress have experience with process steam for their joints-a different situation, I am sure from our on again-off again heating applications.
    I just took a hose end cap off a small 1inch ball valve drain on the base of my boiler to blow that end down. The hose gasket had completely disintegrated. I hope the propress gaskets fare better!
    Copper might be suitable for just the header in a drop header, if the riser piping isolates the thermal movement from the boiler sections.--NBC

How would silicone gaskets hold up?
    They should do fine up to 600F or so and last an incredibly long time.

What about Neoprene? Buna?

Garden hose gaskets (washers) are absolute garbage and certainly not made for high temperature.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • vr608
    vr608 Member Posts: 144
    I think the standard sealing elements supplied with Megapress are EPDM. Warranty is only for ten years though.
    Peerless 63-03, 118,000 BTU (308 sqft), single-pipe steam system connected to 286 EDR of radiation, 30ft of baseboard and indirect DHW
    3PSI gauge
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Interesting viega rep said lifetime guarantee
    Charlie from wmass
  • vr608
    vr608 Member Posts: 144
    I got the warranty info here:

http://www.viega.us/cps/rde/xbcr/en-us/MegaPress_Warranty_1115.pdf

Industrial warranty is only two years apparently.
    Peerless 63-03, 118,000 BTU (308 sqft), single-pipe steam system connected to 286 EDR of radiation, 30ft of baseboard and indirect DHW
    3PSI gauge
    Charlie from wmass
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Too much focus on the fittings and not enough on the copper. Copper and steam causes the copper to make dielectric corrosion if i recall and cause a top crack. Seen it before.
    If im off on theory, disregard this comment.
    :NYplumber:
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,122
    NYplumber said:

Too much focus on the fittings and not enough on the copper. Copper and steam causes the copper to make dielectric corrosion if i recall and cause a top crack. Seen it before.

If im off on theory, disregard this comment.

IMO the thermal expansion / contraction is a bigger problem with steam than the galvanic corrosion.

Look at Gerry Gill's mini tube system. Almost the entire thing is piped in copper and no problems.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment