Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 Rads not warming up

S1lpion
S1lpion Member Posts: 4
Hi All,

Compared to most of the topics on here, this seems very simple but as i have only just brought my first house i wanted to double check my thinking was correct before covering my house in water.

We have two rads (bedroom 2 and landing) that do not seem to get warm, the rads have a plastic type pipe going in to a hole in the wall behind the rad. Essentially when i bleed the rad hot water does come out and in to the bucket (after 2min or so). One of the pipes on the rad is boiling and 1 is cold. As the bleed allows hot water out, i am assuming that the exit valve or pipe is blocked and therefore isn't allowing the cold water to flow out of the rad and back to the boiler.

The fix for this should be along the lines of take of the TRV valve and the plastic cap from the other end and wiggle the pin with a set of pliers etc.. to try and free the pin a little. If this doesn't work take Rad off and see what is blocking it at which point a plumber can come and take a look.

Just wanted to check unless i was missing something.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,440
    edited November 2015
    What type of rads and how are they piped: direct return; reverse return; series loop; mono flow?
    What's the cold static fill pressure on the boiler?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    edited November 2015
    Sounds like a Buderus panel. Try running the boiler a good long cycle maybe 30 mins or more. I think the pressure drop through them is high and it takes longer for them to heat up.
    Also they have adjustments and all on those TRV's that shut off flow.
  • Ironman
    If they're Buderus panel rads, they have flow setters under the TRVs. Remove the TRV. There's a notch in the brass ring. The plastic dial has numbers and the letter "N", which means closed. The lower the number, the less flow; the higher the more. Align the number with the notch on the brass ring. A smaller rad should be set to a lower number and a large rad to the higher number.
    Bob Boan
    j a_2
  • S1lpion
    H All,

Thanks for the responses,

@Ironman, i have no idea which type of system it is, i assumed they were all the same, shows my lack of real knowledge in heating. Cold pressure (when the system is off) is around 1.5bar. This goes up to 2 when the system is on or heating.

The boiler has Potterton written on the front panel and the rads don't seem to have anything on them allthough i have seen the brass pin under the TRV and on the other end under the white cap.

• Ironman
    Can you post some pics?
    Bob Boan
  • S1lpion
    of course, let me check tonight
  • S1lpion
    Hi All, I obviously didn't get round to taking pictures etc... but it's now all fixed. I took the TRV's off each rad and wiggled the pin in the top as it looked like it was further in than a rad that was working. This pin came out a couple of mm and it started getting super hot within minutes.

Cheers for your help anyways