Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

a.o. smith

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,422
here is the problem. I did a direct replacement from TK 3 to a TK 4, the only difference is 9,000 Btu's less, 1st thing wrong was box was damaged, 2nd thing wrong was the reward points was already redeemed. slight dent on cover but that would be the third thing wrong, I install unit and every three days it goes off on a error of wind going into the machine. I replaced gas valve and pc board, the machine still goes off in an error code. the old machine didn't have an error code but a leaky heat ex-changer. The unit was about 8 years old so I just bought a new one for the customer.
Some thing tells me that someone was already into the unit since , the shipping box was damaged, the reward points were already redeemed and now a error code that I tried to fix twice. just to rule out venting, the old unit was working except for the leak, in other words nothing on the venting was changed.
what should I do, what would you do ?

Comments

• Snowmelt
    OK i see 18 reviews and no response, so we have a a. o. smith rep in here or is everyone scared to respond.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Where did you buy it and why would you accept it if box was damaged and unit dented.If it was me I would have returned it to supply house before installing it.
    SWEIkcoppj a_2
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Assuming someone missed it on pick-up, I would have emailed, texted, or voice mailed the wholesaler the moment I saw the points redemption, telling them my observations as well as my intentions (to install tonight if they don't respond, not installing for two days, etc.)

Put a stake in the ground or someone may try to back over you.
    Rich_49
  • Snowmelt
    bought it from BRUCE supply out of keasby NJ
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Even it if it was a scratch and dent purchase and I'm not saying it was, the points should not have been redeemed.
    Steve Minnich
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    What does the supplier have to say?
    Can you have the manufacture run the serial number and give you a history? Who redeemed the points?
    In either case, you seem to have a lemon that the manufacture should repair or replace at their expense.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Rich_49
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,768
    Georgie . Call Jimmy @ Wales Darby and tell him to make it right . Immediately after that find out who has HTP near you and stop using that trash . Atlantic is only in Westfield
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    j a_2
  • Snowmelt
    thanks guys, I will call on Monday morning, Like I said its a new unit and it had to be reset like 5 times already.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    And they say Home Depot has issues....agree go HTP
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Snowmelt said:

OK i see 18 reviews and no response, so we have a a. o. smith rep in here or is everyone scared to respond.

Snowmelt said:

Why on earth would you think people would be afraid to respond?
    jonny88
  • Snowmelt
    J, a , here's the reason why I see 20 or more people looked at the post and none respond
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,786
    not all manufacturers show up on these websites, or allow their employees to. That doesn't mean the product is crap, necessarily.

Start with the place you bought it. It's not AO's problem that you have a damaged, or possibly pirated piece.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Rich_49Tinmanjonny88SWEI
  • Tinman
    The amount of comments per views is always disproportionate. You have to be, at least, a little patient.
    Steve Minnich
  • Snowmelt
    I dont like ao smith for a lot of reasons, But they do make me money on there parts that keep failing...........
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    What parts are you referring to.What models are giving you problems.
  • Rich_49
    You gotta perform a bunch of warranty stuff before there is any gain George . I am having trouble with your last comment .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
  • Tinman
    How does one find out the real names of the posters/regulars behind the curtain?
    Steve Minnich
  • Rich_49
    No trick here on the site Stephen . I just happen to know the poster , same state .
    732-751-1560
  • Tinman
    Ah. Thank you.
    Steve Minnich