Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viessman Paromat-Duplex cutting out and local engineer useless

Options
philsmith
philsmith Member Posts: 4
Hi all, what a useful forum!

I hope someone can help. I have a Viessman Paromat-Duplex oil boiler in my place in France with a Trimatik MC controller.

The boiler cuts out emitting a small amount of unburnt oil smoke at the same time and requires resetting (safety switch) numerous times while warming up, once it has reached temperature it operates as it should cutting in and out on its own and maintaining temperature without issue.

The local engineer seems disinterested (rural France leaves me little choice of who attends) and I was hoping to have some areas to explore with him to get somewhere.

I've asked numerous times if the flue may be blocked causing the reset through exhaust pressure and he has said no. The flue goes in to an old chimney breast but another room with a blocked up fire place on the same chimney smelt of exhaust fumes the other day indicating the exhaust gases weren't escaping the chimney but filling the chimney void.

If the boiler has been left overnight it will stay running without cutting out for the longest, once it has been running it is very little time between resets. Once at temperature it runs for 2 minutes and stays off for about 10.

Would this indicate a blocked flue and cut out due to exhaust pressure? The exhaust gases and subsequent pressure clearing overnight (allowing longest continuous running in the morning), building up once running and requiring resets and then clearing enough to stay running on and off in short bursts to maintain temperature?

Or am I looking at a separate problem (blocked flue) and the cutting out issue is something else?

Apologies for long winded and poor technical info explanation but I'm pulling my hair out with an engineer who wants to be here for 10 minutes, say it's fixed and leave who doesn't seem interested in exploring other avenues.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Do you have an English product manual you can post?
    If it is cutting out on safeties regularly, it is running in an unsafe condition.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • philsmith
    Options
    Sadly not, I'm looking for an English language manual
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    You may be able to browse there North American lineup and find the same product under a different name.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • wcs5050
    wcs5050 Member Posts: 131
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't know of any North American oil fired units that have thermal safety cutouts. Might chimney be in need of cleaning?
    A few pics of unit may be of help.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    By cutting out, I presume you mean the primary control is in safety? If so, it is not any external limits or safeties causing the issue. You really need a burner manual as I also assume the boiler is available with multiple burners. Is it a Viessmann burner or Weishaupt, Riello or other?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    wcs5050Zman
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    What button is it you're pushing?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • philsmith
    Options
    Hi, yes the primary control is in safety which requires a minute before it can be reset. I'm getting the chimney swept as we speak and shall see what happens after that, the engineer says it's nothing to do with the chimney and to replace the boiler so I shall have to push other avenues myself.