Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Power venter vs chimney

Options
Geraldo
Geraldo Member Posts: 16
Hi, did a search and did not find much and what I did find was very old. Sorry if I missed something. I have been here since 2001 and just now they are telling me I will need to replace the power venter. Not dead yet and not sure how long before it will be. I have oil heat. There has been years that I needed to replace electronics associated with the venter and sometimes the tube clogged and had to be cleaned but that is it.

I have been calling and asking about a stainless steel chimney. The chimney will be $2500.00 more to install than the power venter and they tell me that in order to keep the warranty I will have to have it inspected every year($95.00) and then cleaned every other year($169 off season $189 in season). Obviously those prices can and will change over time. That is going to cost more over time to maintain the chimney than it has for me to maintain my current power venter, short of complete replacement in a short time. I am hearing power venters are also built better than they were in the past and also more efficient than a chimney. Under the circumstances I don't understand why everyone says to go with the chimney over the power venter. Even if I had to replace the venter every decade it would still take many years to balance out the additional cost of the chimney installation, inspections and cleanings. Maybe I was luckier than most for problems and longevity with the venter.

Maybe I am looking at this wrong. I have had one for many years so I am aware of the noise and fumes when it kicks on with the windows open. I would appreciate opinions if ayone has any experience with current generation power venters, how bad they can be, what I might expect and also would Tjernlund still be the one to get? Thanks.

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Nothing has changed with PVs, except for fancier circuit boards. Ash residue will collect on the squirrel wheel-vibration, noise, eventual desentigration. The lesser of the evils is Tjerlund bc the motor is inside. The last thing one needs is a breakdown. At any time, bc you're dead in the water and just about no one carries parts. Chimneys don't break down. Generally :)

the only thing they have in thier favor is they reduce standby loss from the equipment.

A stainless chimney is king. I disagree with the statement they are more maintenance. Sounds like someone wants to sell you a PV.
    kcopp
  • Geraldo
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I made the statement more maintenance myself because of the extra installation costs and also the yearly cost of inspections and cleanings required of the stainless steel chimney vs what my costs were over the years with the power venter
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    The fan-driven nature of oil burners reduces standby losses as compared with an atmospheric appliance anyway. Chimneys have no moving parts, and a properly lined one will last. If it were my house, I'd opt for an insulated liner.
    Gordyj a_2
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    It's not the norm to need a chimney clean every year with a clean running oil burner. So scratch that. It IS the norm to have the unit serviced annually, at which time the smoke pipe is taken down, the chimney base inspected and vacuumed, as part of a complete tune up.
    kcopp
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    If the installer requires a yearly cleaning/inspection in order to maintain a warranty find another installer. Sounds like it's "his warranty"
    Hatterasguy
  • Geraldo
    Options
    I asked how often it would have to be cleaned and this was his response.

It is recommended to be inspected on a yearly basis and cleaned every other year. And to maintain the warranty it is recommended to follow these parameters.

I asked what material it was made of and this was his response.

It is an insulated double wall metalbestos all fuel chimney system.

I asked what the warranty was and this was his response.

There is a lifetime warranty and it is made by bestflex
  • Geraldo
    Options
    I only burned 735 gallons of oil last year but I do have my system cleaned and tuned every year.
  • wcs5050
    wcs5050 Member Posts: 131
    Options
    All fuel insulated is the best of the type. Mounts on exterior. Growing up we had an afterthought boiler venting into one. I don't recall it ever being cleaned. It stayed until removal when my folks went to high-eff LP. We were still able to sell it 25 years later. Those power venters take a beating from oil exhaust.
  • Kakashi
    Kakashi Member Posts: 88
    Options
    I would go with a chimney. If you have your unit cleaned every year the tech should check the base. The chimney base can tell you a lot.
    j a_2
  • Geraldo
    Options
    I have already arranged to have a stainless steel chimney installed.