Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Triangle tubes Prestige vs challenger

Options
keyote
keyote Member Posts: 659
local supply has the challenger 125 for $2400 I wonder how it compares to the prestige on the heating side and if you have any thought about the two methods of DHW

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    prestige with the tank. Size the boiler to the load and pipe the indirect per instructions...you'll be very happy...
    Bob Bona_4SWEI
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I prefer the prestige with an indirect. I think in the long run it is a better product.
    A good friend of mine has the Challenger that was one of the first ones made. He has had around 6 years of trouble free operation.
    You saw the rule about price?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Bob Bona_4kcopp
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have a good amount of TT Challenger solos and a few of Combis out there. If its 1 modest bath a combi will be fine.
    I do think a separate indirect is a better over all way to go.
    I like the Challenger for the simplicity and fewer parts.
  • keyote
    Options
    ok not the challenger seems to be the vote. There are tankless DHW in other areas of the house, its a 5000 sf 3 family so this was this dhw side was only for the master bath and a couple of powder rooms and a guest bath all stacked on top of each other, i was thinking only the master bath would be regularly used but its still quite a lot for 3 gpm if they ever were.
    Im still not clear about how they differ internally. I get that this prestige has a 14 gal tank inside and the challenger combi is tankless but im not really clear if one or both have separate sytems internally for the heat vs dhw.I ask because if its not to be the challenger combi, the follow up would be why the Prestige excellence trimax with the 14 gal tank and not simply a challenger solo or prestige solo with a zone off to a larger indirect fired tank? 14 gal doesnt seem sufficient or am i wrong about that? And if that makes sense its back to challenger solo vs prstige solo and why?
    The heat load is radiant wood floors about 110mbtu with 14 zones,that design is not complete yet but i would think it would be primary secondary system, again I could be wrong about that too.
  • keyote
    Options
    But then if the objection is as some have said the boilers cant efficiently mod down enough for DHW only then i suppose the ultimate answer is a separate how water heater and im back to a tankless and 3 gpm or a constant pilot light etc hmm
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Forget the challenger. If you go with the Excellence with the 14 gal. tank built in YOU MUST USE A DIRT MAG or the 3 way valve will give you constant problems. Best would be solo 110 and indirect.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    If it were my house and you gave me the option between a TT prestige Excellence and a properly sized TT challenger solo w/ an indirect I would opt for a the latter.